How to "support" a font I upload to a font website

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
timza

How to "support" a font I upload to a font website

Post by timza »

I have a pretty small web footprint, and try to keep my email out of the public. If I decide to upload the font I am working on, as a free font, based on the SIL Open Font License, on one of, or several of the free font sites, I am wondering how, or even if I should, include a website and public email that people could communicate with me. I did start a wordpress blog on hostgator last year. And, it is difficult for me to admit this, I do want to have a font that I worked on out there for people to use, and have a way for them to contact me to tell me my lower case a sucks and needs to be wider. I want to improve it over time based on feedback. And then upload inproved versions.

I realize that this is not a FontCreator question. And I realize that I am not as gung-ho about this maybe as other people are. But, I do want to wade into the big kids pool. I am not sure how to go about that.

Thanks for any ideas your may have, or stories you may have on how you went from just giving fonts to your friends to getting emails from Germany with comments on your fonts.

Tim.
Erwin Denissen

Re: How to "support" a font I upload to a font website

Post by Erwin Denissen »

timza wrote:I have a pretty small web footprint, and try to keep my email out of the public. If I decide to upload the font I am working on, as a free font, based on the SIL Open Font License, on one of, or several of the free font sites, I am wondering how, or even if I should, include a website and public email that people could communicate with me. I did start a wordpress blog on hostgator last year. And, it is difficult for me to admit this, I do want to have a font that I worked on out there for people to use, and have a way for them to contact me to tell me my lower case a sucks and needs to be wider. I want to improve it over time based on feedback. And then upload inproved versions.

I realize that this is not a FontCreator question. And I realize that I am not as gung-ho about this maybe as other people are. But, I do want to wade into the big kids pool. I am not sure how to go about that.

Thanks for any ideas your may have, or stories you may have on how you went from just giving fonts to your friends to getting emails from Germany with comments on your fonts.

Tim.
Do take a look at dafont.com (or other font sites). I think you can easily upload your font(s) and people can leave comments on that web site.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
timza

Post by timza »

Thank you. I will look into that while I consider having a website and an email address. I am not interested in creating a bunch of fonts, but I am interested in making the one I am working on really good and useful to others.

Tim.
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

If you wanted to include an E-mail address then why not set up a Gmail or Hotmail account specifically for this project. Then you can check the mail as often or as infrequently as you like and it would have nothing to do with your main E-mail account.