scanahand copyrights

Before asking a question on Scanahand look here for possible solutions and tutorials. Please do not post support requests here.
bobcdy

scanahand copyrights

Post by bobcdy »

I noticed in my recently purchased Scanahand Pro that when I create a scanned font, there is a copyright notice by Scanahand for the font as show in FontCreator? Does this mean that High Logic has the copyright for all fonts created by Scanahand?
Erwin Denissen

Re: scanahand copyrights

Post by Erwin Denissen »

No, we just add some text to it. The text is something like:

Made with Scanahand. Copyright © YourName 2011. All Rights Reserved.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
DennisW

Post by DennisW »

Is that even a legal copyright or would it hold up in court? Or do you have to actually file a copyright for your fonts? I've always wondered too about who owns the fonts or if they are public domain?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Unless you know otherwise, you should assume all fonts to be copyrighted works. If you have created a font yourself (without using anything from other fonts), it is your property.

In the US (and probably in several other countries) use of the copyright notice is nowadays optional. It is still wise to add a copyright notice, as it informs the public that the font is protected by copyright, and identifies the copyright owner.

Note: I'm not a lawyer, so the usual disclaimer applies here as well :wink:
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Post by Dave Crosby »

All you have to do in the USA is write Copyright or use the symbol,your name and date. It is yours!
See: Font Law:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1668
Aut nunc aut nunquam