Cursive Writing

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
Jared54

Cursive Writing

Post by Jared54 »

So far so good. I'm following other blog post about fixing up individual letters that are spaced too far or have stray marks.

Every handwriting scanning template can only do printing. I would like to have options for cursive. I'm sure this would require a start and stop point for each letter so they connect. It would also have to blend the connection points so it doesn't look odd. Do you guys have anything in the works like this? I think it would be huge. If I fill out the current template with cursive it doesn't look very good.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The idea has been suggested before, and might get implemented later in an enhanced version. The problem is that once we get into defining left and right side-bearings for individual glyphs — which you need to do when designing cursive scripts — font design starts to get complicated.

The idea behind Scanahand was to make font design easy for those who are not experts. If you want to do cursive scripts, you can adjust side-bearings and add kerning to the font with FontCreator Home Edition or Professional Edition.

See Dave's Tutorial on Joining Flowing Scripts to understand better what is involved.

See also my post in this thread.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Scanahand

Post by Dave Crosby »

Scanahand does very well what it was designed for:

An inexpensive and easy way for people to convert handwriting into usable fonts.

The more bells and whistles, the greater the complexity AND the cost.

As is, much can be done to improve the Scanahand generated outputs by making adjustments to whatever was originally entered in the template using various drawing programs and then regenerating the fonts.

Font Creator is there for those that want to go further.

Starting with Scanahand then moving the output to Font Creator for final touch-up is now my preferred way to create new fonts. My favorite Dynamic Duo!
Aut nunc aut nunquam