Installing a font

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
John Davis

Installing a font

Post by John Davis »

I'm having trouble installing a font in Windows 98. The installation process goes OK but the font appears in my applications as NewUnicodeFont although I have carefully given it a new name and subtype.

I'm also confused over what Platform I should set in the Platform Manager. It would seem logical to use Microsoft Unicode but if I do the font file is loaded in my Font Folder with the name NewUnicodeFont. If I set the platform to Macintosh, as most of my standard fonts seem to use, then the file is stored with the proper filename but it still doesn't appear under the font name I gave it in the application.

Thanks for response to my Kerning question.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

A font stores platform dependant information about naming fields (and character mappings but this is not relevant for your problem). All available Platforms should have identical naming fields.

For the Microsoft (Unicode or Symbol) Platform these naming entries for English - United States should be available:
- Font Family Name
- Font Subfamily Name
- Unique Font Identifier
- Full Font Name
- Version String
- Postscript Name

Although Window 95, 98 and ME don't care about these fields, all these fields should be present because Windows NT, 2000 and XP require these fields - without these fields installation will fail.

In Windows, the Font Family name is displayed in the font menu; the Font Subfamily name is presented as the Style name. The Font Family name will appear as the font name when you select a font in a word processing program, etc.

Erwin Denissen
John Davis

Post by John Davis »

Thanks for the reply. What you describe is what I expected but not what haapens. It seems that the problem is related to the other forum question about the font names not sticking. This in turn seems to depend on what Platform is selected and what language is set - some combinations do not stay when the file is saved. I have found a workaround for now but there is clearly a problem here.
iconoclastx

Post by iconoclastx »

What is your workaround? I haven't got a reply to my question about the font name not being saved yet...

TIA
John Davis

Post by John Davis »

My workaround is to delete all platforms and language options that I'm not using in the Platform Manager and Naming menus. Then, with Microsoft Unicode and English (American) selectd, I can enter all the font naming field and they stay when I save.

Hope it works for you!