Overlapping Font Character

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
scrumley

Post by scrumley »

I just started playing with the product and tried creating a font from my product Logo's characters. Whithout too much trouble I was able to creat the font and use it. However I have not found a way to create the correct overlapping behavior for one specific character in the logo. In my logo the X overlaps the preceeding character slightly and the following character significantly. In both cases it is supposed to appear in front of the other characters in red (I can handle the color with other programs if needed). In the font I created the over lap works on the preceeding character but not the following. The charactes do overlap but the right most portion of the x is hidden by the following character.

How can this be addressed :?:
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

An answer

Post by Dick Pape »

Hi scrumley

In the edit window, change the left and right vertical lines (left side bearing and advance width) to where they have the proper overlap. Of course this a permanent fix to those characters so whenever you use them they will have this "unusual" spacing.

Another way to accomplish this is to define your logo in one glyph so you can adjust the parts exactly without impacting the other characters of the alphabet. Using the single character will show your logo. Very direct.

DPape
scrumley

Post by scrumley »

I have adjested the left side bearing and right advance lines/settings and this does properly adjust the overlap of the characters. However when the character overlaps on the left it appear in front of the previous character (because It is a differnet color in my test). This is the behavior I wanted. Unfortunately I also wanted to appear in front of the character on the right and it does not. Is there a parameter that controls this?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

No. I'm not aware of any parameter that determines stacking order in the font itself. I think the only way is to change the order so that the top character is last. This could be done with a negative side-bearing as with an overstrike character̅.

An easier way would be to simply place the three components of the logo in a DTP or graphics application as artistic text, and overlay them or kern them manually.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Much easier!

Post by Dick Pape »

I overlapped 5 letters (Cisco) in the tight manner of graffitti but had to remove certain points to achieve the proper look. Again, it was using a single glyph for it all. Got exactly what I was after.

Only way I know to show is picture is at:

http://rapidshare.de/files/29078525/IMG ... 1_copy.jpg

Dick

(ps we're still working on the i and the splotchy background)