TTF to TTC

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
drayon

TTF to TTC

Post by drayon »

Hi, does the latest version of FontCreator have the ability to import '.ttf's such as regular and bold and export as a ".ttc" truetype collection format? If not any idea what tool can do this? Thanks
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: TTF to TTC

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

No. It can extract the TTF fonts from a Truetype collection, but cannot create TTC files.

I don't see the benefit of TTC files, and don't know of any program that creates them — maybe FontLab does (I don't see any option to export TTC, not even in Asia Font Studio). Why do you want to create one?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
drayon

Post by drayon »

oops double
Last edited by drayon on Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drayon

Post by drayon »

Mac OS X uses a fixed non user changeable System Font. This format is '.dfont' a Macintosh TrueType suitcase. However Snow Leopard is now using this 'ttc' format.

The workaround currently being used is to open the System font which contains Regular and Bold typefaces and the desired custom font in both regular and bold. Fontlab Studio provides the ability to merge the custom font typefaces into the System font which finally is exported as a Macintosh TrueType '.dfont'. In a way this tricks the system to display a custom themed font ;-) yay.

However Snow Leopard, the latest version of Mac OS X is now using this Microsoft Windows 'ttc' TrueType Font collection format. Unfortunately Fontlab cannot open this format and cannot export to it. There seems nothing else on the Mac platform that I can find. I thought I'd broaden the range and look far afield in the Windows domain for a tool to accomplish this. I find it ironic there is nothing on this platform either considering the '.ttc' to be a Microsoft format. Strange :-((
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We also develop custom font related software. So if you really want such tool, then do send us your exact requirements and we'll send you a quote.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology