Problem with Italic script?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
phseet

Problem with Italic script?

Post by phseet »

Hi, I have a problem using the 'Glyph Transformer' to transform a font to Italics. The problem occurs only for the letter 'B'. I have created a test file containing the particular glyph. The result of the transformation is displayed in this image:
after transformation.png
after transformation.png (93.11 KiB) Viewed 5162 times
There does not seem to be any other error except for this glyph. Basically the 2 'inner' areas become solid black as well.

I have tried the transformation on version 5.6 and 6.0.1 and both have the the same issue.
Attachments
Test.ttf
(14.49 KiB) Downloaded 437 times
Erwin Denissen

Re: Problem with Italic script?

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Sometimes a transformation requires manual adjustments. In this case just select the outer contour and change it's direction.

Here is some more information about the power of the glyph transformer.
Working With Transformations
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Jowaco

Post by Jowaco »

I was interested in this problem. I know that validation problems can be introduced into a font that previously validated without problems by processes such as transformation. Dick Pape once pointed out that automatic hinting applied to a 'clean' font could also produce problems.

'B' in the Test Font had a validation problem before transformation.
Does this mean that it would be wise, and introduce fewer problems, if a font is validated before transformations are applied?

Joe.
Attachments
From a screen shot
From a screen shot
B in Test Font.png (108.48 KiB) Viewed 5141 times
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Jowaco wrote:Does this mean that it would be wise, and introduce fewer problems, if a font is validated before transformations are applied?
Yes, I think it is wise to eliminate all possible problem before running a transformation script, but even then you can (especially with Bold, Thin, and Hollow) get unexpected results that require manual adjustments.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology