How can I change character spacing?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
sally

How can I change character spacing?

Post by sally »

Hello,

can anyone plz tell me how to change charater spacing? I use installed font and want to fix the character spacing to 0.2pt.

Thank you in advance for any hints.
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Re: How can I change character spacing?

Post by Dave Crosby »

You have two choices:

1. Change the glyph bearings
2. Change the kerning.
Aut nunc aut nunquam
sally

Post by sally »

Hello Dave,

Thank you for your quick response.

I want to use Arial Narrow - Font size is 11pt and charater spacing is 0.2pt. Open it and click on "space", then click on Tools/Glyph Transformer to change the glyph bearings or click on Autokern changing the kerning, is it right?
I´m a newbie and do not know which number should be entered. I would be very grateful if you could help me.
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

I'm an oldie but I'm not going to help all that much I'm afraid. In Font Creator spacing between characters is set by Tools/Autometrics where you set how much white space would be placed before and/or after a character.

This would be a relative distance, based on point size of the glyph. As the character changes in size the spacing would change. I don't know how big it should be set for a 11pt size character.

As background, for my curiosity: is the current spacing on Arial Narrow too wide or not wide enough? Why do you want to change a well designed finished font?
patedepollo

Post by patedepollo »

Thank you very much Dick Pape, you saved my night(and my fonts, of course)!