Adding new platforms / naming / mapping to existing fonts

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Nick

Adding new platforms / naming / mapping to existing fonts

Post by Nick »

I'm currently testing Font Creator 3.1 and I can't find an easy way to add a new platform, naming and mapping to an existing font...

The problem is this: We have a set of fonts that only have Mac platform information and we need to add Microsoft information to these fonts because certain MS applications act weird with these fonts.

While I can add a new platform, add a new language, manually copy every damn attribute over and then (particularly tedious) create a new mapping and manually every single glyph in the new platform / language, surely there must be an automatic way of doing this? I can't find an option to do this though :(
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Currently there is no such feature. You could try to copy and paste the glyphs into another font that does have correct Microsoft table data.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Copying and Pasting Mapping Data

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I understand the problem you are having, and think I have found an easy solution. Erwin's explanation was perhaps too brief, so I will explain in detail. This is what I did, and it seems to work.

:arrow: I opened one font that had mapping data for Unicode Semantics 1.0
and another that did not. The aim being to copy the mapping data from one font to the other.

:arrow: I selected a range of characters in the font with mapping data for Unicode Semantics 1.0 and copied them (Control C). I tried just A to ~, but I expect you could do the whole lot at once as long as the same characters exist in both fonts and in the same order.

:arrow: I added the Unicode Semantics platform to the other font, which had only platforms for Macintosh and Microsoft Unicode.

:arrow: I selected Paste Special from the Edit menu, and checked all the boxes to copy Glyph Metrics, Glyph Postscript, and Glyph Mappings, and to override any existing mappings.

:arrow: Hey Presto. The new font had all the correctly mapping information from the other font.

:? HOWEVER - YOU HAVENT QUITE FINISHED YET

Now you have the right mapping data, but the wrong glyph outlines from a different font. I leave it to you to figure out how to copy the glyph outlines back from the original font into the edited version with the correct mappings. Please post a reply on the forum if it works.

I don't think it will be too difficult, but since I don't know what fonts you are working with, what character sets they have etc., I cannot tell what other problems you might encounter.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486