Change Cap Height and X Height V 8.0

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
missjax1

Change Cap Height and X Height V 8.0

Post by missjax1 »

I apologize if this is a duplicate post. I could have sworn I hit submit, but I don't see it in my history.

Can anyone help me figure out how to change the red dotted line that gives a guide for the Cap Height and the x-Height?
I have found information for Version 1 and 2 - but I only have an option for Version 3 or 4. I don't have access to the additional metrics.

Also, anyone know of a good place that I can go to that is eqivlant to FontCreator for Dummies?? Lol.. I don't know anything about font terminology...what funits mean in the real world of measure...honestly, i don't understand anything but cap height, x height, win acender and win decender. I know how to adjust the winacender/decender - just not cap height and x height. I am doing all the editing in Corel X7 - exporting each letter as a PDF and resizing accordingly - but it isn't EXACT, and I would like to know a way to get that. I have swashes and swirls that go beyond the guidelines for scanhand, and the trace is less than ideal. Everything is perfect in my graphic software, I just have trouble when importing anything that has something below the baseline, or lower case letters.

I have 5 different sets of letters. the program that i am creating this for doesn't support open type.. so I am doing a "basic font" with simple lettering, and then alt1, alt2, al3, alt4 with more whimsical swashy varients. In the end, they will be used together to create different styled words, which is why it is imperative that they are all exactly proportionate.

Thanks in advance for your help. I really appreciate it.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Change Cap Height and X Height V 8.0

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You will find a diagram showing some of the metrics and terms in the FAQ Thread at the top of the support forum.

The x-height and Caps Height are calculated values based on the lower-case x, and uppercase H in your font. See this Tutorial thread: How Do You Adjust the Cap Height and x-height Lines?

See Tools, Options, Glyph for the settings to use for importing vector images to make sure that they all scale equally.

Guidelines can also help, or use the Transform toolbar to size glyphs to exact values or scale them by precise percentages.

Imported images are positioned relative to the origin, so you will have to move those with descenders, swashes, or counters that drop below the baseline.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I will send you more information about Cap Height and x-height tomorrow morning, along with a link to a more recent update of FontCreator which contains numerous bug fixes.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
delins

Post by delins »

I will send you more information about Cap Height and x-height tomorrow morning, along with a link to a more recent update of FontCreator which contains numerous bug fixes.
Any news on this?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I did send a link to an update. Do you want it as well?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
delins

Post by delins »

I did send a link to an update. Do you want it as well?
If the update allows to change cap and x height, then of course, I want it too :) I did mention about it here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5094.
I just thought the update will be available for everybody on the main website or through update server by now.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I've just send you the download link. I'm sorry I forgot all about your initial post :oops:
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
delins

Post by delins »

Erwin Denissen wrote:'ve just send you the download link. I'm sorry I forgot all about your initial post
Thanks! Installed the update, cap height/ x height values are back and so are automatic opentype features.
Ruri

Post by Ruri »

Hi there,
I'd also very much like to have this update. I've only had the program a week but not being able to change Cap-height is driving me crazy.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Ruri wrote:Hi there,
I'd also very much like to have this update. I've only had the program a week but not being able to change Cap-height is driving me crazy.
The link to the latest (unofficial) release is waiting in your mail box!
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Ruri

Post by Ruri »

The link to the latest (unofficial) release is waiting in your mail box!
Many thanks. That's great. Everything is installed and looking good.

Ruri
Luigi

Post by Luigi »

I carefully red:
1) Help information on am subject,
2) Information given here

I still can't adjust/change x-Height position in my Font Creator 8.0 Prof.

Tutorial given here refers to the old version of FC and instruct to menu positions I don't have in my newest version.

I spent few hours on finding simple method to move down this red doted line but without positive result.

Please help

Best Regard
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Do send me a pm and I'll send you the new version.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Luigi

Post by Luigi »

I tried to write you a private message, but following warning was appearing:

"We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more to be able to use this feature."

Best regards
SK
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Luigi wrote:I tried to write you a private message, but following warning was appearing:

"We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more to be able to use this feature."

Best regards
SK
I have sent Erwin your email address, and removed it from your forum post, to avoid spambots.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486