My created font not recognised by Windows 8

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Cyril

My created font not recognised by Windows 8

Post by Cyril »

I have created a mirrored font from a TTF called Courier Proportional for use in Thai reading experiments.

I have saved as a TTF with a different name.

When installing in Windows 8 I get a the message "the font already exists"

How can I get around this problem to use the font.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: My created font not recognised by Windows 8

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Any font has two names:

1. The TrueType file name
2. The Font Name as seen by Windows applications.

It is this second name that you need to change in Font Properties, (or Format, Naming if using an older version of FontCreator).
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Cyril

Post by Cyril »

Hi and thanks for the quick reply.
I did as you suggested I did find another post about altering the name in Font Properties.
I did this and saved and installed into the Winsdows font folder. Windows now accepted it.

I then opened Word and found the font in the list.
When I attempted to use it Word would not allow its use. It jumped to another font.

Do you have any suggestions about this?

thanks
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Try rebooting your PC.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Cyril

Post by Cyril »

Yes I tried that. No difference.

I wonder if there is something I need to do in the font properties before exporting as a TTF out of Font Creator.

the original font is called Courier Proportional Thai. So then I made glyphs which are mirror images of the Thai characters.

I saved this changing the name in Font Properties from Courier Proportional to Courier Proportinal Upsidedown.

I did not alter anything else in the properties section.

Once installed in the Font folder I was able to see it in the Word font list. When I selected it and started to type using the Thai language and keyboard the font jumped to another thai font immediately.

Does any of this point to an error or some sort?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I don't know what the problem is.

Perhaps a screen shot of your Image Export Options for TrueType Fonts would help or attach the Font Project file.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Cyril wrote:When installing in Windows 8 I get a the message "the font already exists"
No need to change the subject of your post, but it is a little misleading :wink:

Windows does recognize your font; it just refuses to install it, because a font with the same name is already installed.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Cyril wrote:Yes I tried that. No difference.

I wonder if there is something I need to do in the font properties before exporting as a TTF out of Font Creator.

the original font is called Courier Proportional Thai. So then I made glyphs which are mirror images of the Thai characters.

I saved this changing the name in Font Properties from Courier Proportional to Courier Proportinal Upsidedown.

I did not alter anything else in the properties section.

Once installed in the Font folder I was able to see it in the Word font list. When I selected it and started to type using the Thai language and keyboard the font jumped to another thai font immediately.

Does any of this point to an error or some sort?
You will need the latest (unreleased) version, which we gladly send to existing customers. Just contact us and we'll send you a link to the installation file.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology