2 issues: Win Ascent/Decent & Unicode Range

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Kevin Conner

2 issues: Win Ascent/Decent & Unicode Range

Post by Kevin Conner »

HI!

I have two issues. The first one is more or less an issue with outdated faqs.

The Win Ascent and Descent values keep defaulting to their original base numbers every time I exit my project and load it back up. So every time I load it back up I have to manually enter the new values and click ok. In FAQs for older versions this supposedly had something to do with a default script that you could remove? This script also affects the Calculate option on a number of windows. Apparently I cannot find where that thing is in 8.0 and thus cannot remove it.

The other issue revolves around the Unicode Range.

The default Unicode Range shows these 11 Unicode supplements:

Basic Latin
Latin-1
Latin Extended-A
Spacing Modifier Letters
Greek and Coptic
General Punctuation
Currency Symbols
LEtterlike Symbols
Mathematical Operators (etc....)
Private Use Area (unmodifiable)
Alphabetic Presentation Forms

Some of these I do not need, and some others which are listed that I want, cannot be accessed.

The ONLY FAQ and Help topic I saw told me to go into

Font Properties - Ranges - Unicode Range Settings - Edit

HOWEVER, even after modifying this function, the program REFUSES to change the active selection pane so I can modify the range that I wish to include.

In my custom font, I am trying to include a customized box that I wish to add to the Miscellaneous Symbols range: http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode ... /index.htm

I have spent about 3 hours trying to find the right FAQ. It is entirely possible that I am blind and I have missed it staring me in the face. It is also entirely possible that I may have missed some notice telling me I'll never be able to include or modify the ranges for new fonts.

I do know that fonts such as Comic Sans have such ranges in them.

I just don't know what the issue is, or what I am missing.

Please help, tyvm!

-Kevin
Kevin Conner

Re: 2 issues: Win Ascent/Decent & Unicode Range

Post by Kevin Conner »

I have another question - I can't figure out line spacing to save my life.

I've got letter boundaries down perfect.

I'm making an 8bit styled square font. 800 x 800. My letters are perfectly centered and I am leaving a space of 100 around each letter.

I want my line spacing to be no more and no less than 200 from the from bottom of the line above it.

How and where do I adjust the numbers to get that effect?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

It's not often that I am baffled by support questions, but I cannot figure out what you're doing or why.

WinAscent/WinDescent can be edited if you must, but they do not change on reopening a project. It's best to let FontCreator calculate the values for your font using the calculate option.

If I start a new font, Misc Symbols are not included in the Ranges. If I add just the Ballot Box symbol and recalculate the ranges the Misc Symbols character set range is added. The default ranges included on starting a new font project depend on the default glyphs included in the font. You can delete any glyphs that you know you will never need.

Is this a Unicode font or a Symbol Font? Maybe it would help if you attached the font project.

The line-spacing is determined by the font metrics. My fonts use a funits per em value of 2048, which is the default for new fonts.

WinAscent = 1907
WinDescent = -551
Total = 2458 (= 2048 x 1.2)

Line-spacing for 10 point font = 12 point

Your glyph is 800 funits high, which is a lot less than em-square. Try 1600 or change the funit / em value to 1024 in Font Properties, General.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Since the official release of FontCreator we've made numerous enhancements as well as several bug fixes which might help you. I will send you a download link to the latest unofficial release of FontCreator. We only send it on request to paying customers, so let us know your results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Kevin Conner

Post by Kevin Conner »

Until I downgraded the font to 1024 as you suggested, the program was continually resetting Win Ascent and Win Descent every time I reloaded it. NOW I can set the two values. I have no idea why it was doing that.

Thank you for telling me how to add the other font things!:D I got Misc Symbols in!

Ok so now that Win Ascent is working - Win Ascent directly controls the spacing. So to get my desired effect, I set my win ascent to 1000 up from 800. Since 800 is my font box, 1000 gives me that 200 padding. This just makes it easier to use my font in my game projects while keeping the appropriate scaling.

The reason why my font is like this because I'm doing a classic 8 bit style font and for some reason I couldn't enlarge the font images as high as I wanted when I originally imported them. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong there.

But now it's all working, it seems!:D

Thank you very much!:D

I'll still be happy to send a copy of my file, if you want :)