inDesign will not package font

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Palendrome

inDesign will not package font

Post by Palendrome »

Hello help please,

Made some pretty simple modifications to a font for a media project for video and print but InDesign refuses to deal with the font and stops creating the package.

The only way to succeed seems to be to remove this font do the packaging and then adding it as as a resource later. I am not familiar with in Design so if there are any users who have experienced this, please let me know. Other fonts work fine. In design is running on a Mac.

Over another issue on advice from the forum we excluded the opentype tables on export - wondering if this could be a reason?

Thanks for any help it is appreciated.

Best
Paul
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: inDesign will not package font

Post by Alfred »

What are the embedding licensing rights for the font?
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
Palendrome

Post by Palendrome »

Hi Alfred,

Thanks for your help with this. Not sure how to determine the rights. The project is for a school and they purchased or acquired a chalk font and discovered it had no punctuation, plus some characters were unsuitable, so I added punctuation and tweaked some characters. Since the font does not belong to me, I did not make any entries or settings in the copyright section.

How do I determine the embedding capabilities - pretty sure you have the nail in line with the head here.

Thanks again fro you help

Best

Paul
sp0rk

Post by sp0rk »

In FCP (8.0) you can see the embedding settings from Font > Properties > Legal tab.

Can you export to PDF from InDesign OK? A restricted font should give you an error. Or, in InDesign, you can go to Type > Find Font..., click on the font in question and click 'More Info' in the Find Font window. This should tell you what restrictions there are on the font.
Palendrome

Post by Palendrome »

Hi Thanks for this. The font properties are set to "Editable (read write)".
The two tick boxes:

No subsetting and
bitmap embedding only

are not ticked

I will check to see if they are able to export a PDF. I imagine a pdf is likely to want to create embedded bitmaps or can it contain the actual font?
Never considered these things in-depth before.

Will also ask them to check the font properties as you describe
Paul
sp0rk

Post by sp0rk »

Export to PDF will want to embed the actual font. Subsetting is when only the glyphs in use in the document are embedded rather than the whole font.

I think this points to something in the font other than the embedding settings, then. However, does it make any difference to your process if you add the font to the package folder afterwards? I am wondering what problems will actually be caused by doing it this way. If the font can be installed, printed and embedded into PDF without problems then I think having to add it manually to the package is not a problem. I only use InDesign on Windows, though, so there may be something in the Mac workflow that I've missed. Are you sending the InDesign package to a print shop for physical printing?
Palendrome

Post by Palendrome »

Hi There,

Yes the package is being sent to a print shop and you are spot on - she has added the font after packaging and that seems to be just fine. It's just concerning as to why it happens and changes her work flow a bit. Read up that it may be a locked font issue in inDesign on the Mac, so she is checking that out. Thanks so much for your input and reassuring that it is probably not a big deal to add after.

Waiting to hear back from her on the pdf test etc...

Best

Paul