Custom Ligatures

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
mgmuranaka

Custom Ligatures

Post by mgmuranaka »

I am struggling with adding custom ligatures. I know that this question has been asked numerous times, and I've been looking here on the forums for hours and trying every possible variation of code, but nothing is working. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

I'd like to have a custom ligature for OO. I created a new glyph named OO, and used the following code:

Code: Select all

script latn {
        feature ligatures;
    }

feature ligatures liga {
        lookup ligaSub;
    }

lookup ligaSub {

sub O O  -> OO;

}
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Custom Ligatures

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Moved to the correct forum

I don't see anything wrong with your code. Check that you have named the glyph correctly as "OO" and not "OO "

You might want to use DiscretionaryLigatures dlig rather than StandardLigatures liga, which is enabled by default, but there's no rule that says you must.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
mgmuranaka

Post by mgmuranaka »

Thank you for your response. Yesterday I tried standard, discretionary, and contextual ligatures, but none of them worked. Upon doing more research through the forums, one person mentioned that the ligatures only worked in inDesign, and when I opened inDesign the ligatures of my font worked for me, but they still weren't working in Photoshop or Illustrator. I shut down my computer last night, and today the ligatures seem to be working perfectly in all programs.

I just wanted to ask also, is that common? Would a restart help with using ligatures?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

A restart might help to ensure that the latest version of the font is being used.

See this earlier thread

You can test your OpenType features in Firefox by using the Web Font Test without installing the font.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486