Font install not updating unless remove DSIG or original font

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
outofstepfontco

Font install not updating unless remove DSIG or original font

Post by outofstepfontco »

Good morning
I'm having a problem with fonts exported from Fontcreator 8.x Standard.

After I export my font to .ttf and install it, the revised version of the font isn't available in any applications. Likewise, when I double click the font to install it again, the date listed is the date of the original installation.

There are only two ways I can get my computer to recognize the new version in applications:

1. Enter the C:/Windows/Fonts directory, and manually delete the original font installation prior to installing the new file

2. Open the new font file in Fontforge, and export from that program. Fontforge dumps the DSIG on import, and an error message appears to announce this fact.

I will be selling my fonts and need to resolve this issue for my customers.

My OS is Windows 7.
FC15.0 Professional
Erwin Denissen

Re: Font install not updating unless remove DSIG or original font

Post by Erwin Denissen »

It just won't work to install an updated version of your font, as long as the old version is still used by Windows or other software.

Only closing all other software prior to uninstalling the older version will work. Otherwise you will need to uninstall then reboot and then install the new version.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
outofstepfontco

Erwin Denissen wrote:It just won't work to install an updated version of your font, as long as the old version is still used by Windows or other software.

Only closing all other software prior to uninstalling the older version will work. Otherwise you will need to uninstall then reboot and then install the new version.
So fonts generated by Fontcreator need special treatment as compared to fonts created using other programs?
FC15.0 Professional
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

No.

If i'm wrong, then that means I can improve our software, but I'm afraid that I've tried all things one can imagine the last 18 years I develop font software for Windows.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
outofstepfontco

Erwin Denissen wrote:No.

If i'm wrong, then that means I can improve our software, but I'm afraid that I've tried all things one can imagine the last 18 years I develop font software for Windows.
If there's any other information I can provide, please let me know what you need.

As of now, the issue is corrected by using FontForge to eliminate the DSIG.
What does DSIG do? Do we need it? Can we turn it off if we do not?
FC15.0 Professional
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Windows will ignore all your OpenType layout features if you don't provide a DSIG table.

Not good if you intend to make professional fonts.

Beside even though things seem to work on your computer there is no guarantee it works on other machines as well.

In your case it is clear that your previous version was still in use. There are no tricks to solve that, except for closing the software that was using the font. Note that even Windows file explorer had a preview mode that loads selected font files!
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology