About moving the vertical bearing guides

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
jlog3000

About moving the vertical bearing guides

Post by jlog3000 »

Greetings everyone. I'm new to this forums as well as to learning on how to create fonts/typefaces. I have some serious trouble about moving the vertical bearing guides (the WinAscent, the CapHeight, the x-Height and the WinDescent) Since I can't move them manually, is there another form or way to move each one of them? Plus, I pasted one or some characters from other fonts to see the right size, but with those said character, it either past beyond that or was short of reaching. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: About moving the vertical bearing guides

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The font metrics like WinAscent, WinDescent, CapsHeight, x-height are calculated values and depend on the glyphs. I will give you one guess what the x-height is calculated from. :D

See the illustration in the FAQ Thread.

If you design glyphs that overlap the WinAscent/WinDescent they will be clipped in most applications. Recalculate the metrics from the Font Properties dialogue to move the WinAscent to the top of the highest Y extent in any glyph, and to move the WinDescent to the bottom of the lowest Y extent.

The CapsHeight is calculated from the Uppercase H, the TypoAscender from lowercase d, and Typodescender from lowercase p.
CapsHeight.png
CapsHeight.png (3.87 KiB) Viewed 2772 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
jlog3000

Post by jlog3000 »

So you're saying that the font metrics would be calculated and set automatically based on the form and type of the character glyph. Am I correct? I wish I could share an image or upload-share one to show you what I'm talking about. But I appreciate part of the advice for.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The attachments tab is below the message reply box. You should be able to upload files from there, but I think we don't need any illustration.

Be mindful when copying glyphs from other fonts. Most fonts are protected by copyright. Use OpenSource fonts if you wish to use glyphs in your own fonts, and even then read the terms for using those glyphs in your fonts.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
jlog3000

Post by jlog3000 »

Understandable. I'll follow up those kinds of advice from you, which I appreciate it. Plus, it's from a 'new project' type of file, not from an 'installed font' type. Just wanna point that out.