I want to copy Arial ANSI letters to SimSun.ttf is that possible ?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
CodeChegga

I want to copy Arial ANSI letters to SimSun.ttf is that possible ?

Post by CodeChegga »

Hello Experts,

I want to copy Arial ANSI letters to SimSun.ttf is that possible ? The standard ANSI letters are coming from a Times serif similar font in simsun but I want to highlight the western letters in simsun texts because we are writing software manuals and give the Menu and submenu words in English...

Is FontCreator home-version able to do that?

thanks for answers and hints

Rainer
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: I want to copy Arial ANSI letters to SimSun.ttf is that possible ?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Although it is possible it is not allowed:
  1. Because both fonts are copyrighted
  2. Because the Home Edition does not allow creation of fonts for commercial use.
Try another method such as creating character styles to use for the menu text in the application that you're using to write the manual. That way, it will be very easy to adjust the font or size, colour, etc., for the English text later if you decide that it looks better.

In the first screen shot, I have used the character style named "Nissaya" for words in Pali, while the main body text is in English.
Character Style.png
Character Style.png (22.82 KiB) Viewed 3927 times
In the second screen shot, I updated the character style to a different colour with just a few clicks.
Updated Character Style.png
Updated Character Style.png (18.57 KiB) Viewed 3927 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
CodeChegga

Post by CodeChegga »

Thanks for the hints, so
does FontCreator home not save my new private font mix ? Or it is saving the rearranged font and it is only a legal question?

I do not want to sell a font or the resulting special ttf will leave my PC or my house. The resulting PDF Documents for the print shop will show in the end arial letters and simsun letters. But i will save a lot of time formatting again and again a huge ammount of Documents manually.

For further understanding:
I have witten also a vbs Makro for Word2013 scanning the texts from the translation offices and format the charcters depending from the unicode integer value (smaller than 255 in Arial higher in SimSun) or new: your idea Bhikkhu Pesala with char style sheet).

This is my alternate workaround. For formatting manually it is to much text and to much revisions. It has to be automatically done. The chapters come into Word by a IncludeText Field. With a special ttf i would run a once a macro to take the special ttf for all text and all is done.
CodeChegga

Re: I want to copy Arial ANSI letters to SimSun.ttc is that possible ?

Post by CodeChegga »

It seems its a SimSun.ttc on my system active, not the older simsun.ttf.

Is there a difference to handle a truetype-collection with FontCreator? MainType 6 shows me both font files on my system?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

FontCreator doesn't edit TTC files. If you open one, it extracts the package to individual TTF fonts, which can then be edited.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
CodeChegga

Post by CodeChegga »

Ok i solved my problem with FontCreator Home. It is easy to copy the Latin characters vom an open arial.ttf into the same positions of the open simsun.ttf extractet from the samsung.ttc file. Export in ttf, installing the font an ready to show the arial-like Latin1 charakters in arial like formattting.