Private Use glyphs not showing

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Fonts

Private Use glyphs not showing

Post by Fonts »

I've created some private use glyphs but they won't show up in Excel.
They're mapped to "Windows Unicode BMP (UCS-2)" and "Unicode 2.0 and onwards BMP".
They show up in the Character Map and Word. But they don't show up in Excel, which is where I need them.
I've created private glyphs in the past without a problem so I don't know why it's not working this time.
I'm using version 6.

To add ... I have each glyph in a cell in Excel. When I copy all my glyphs from Excel to Word, the standard ones show up as required but the private use glyphs show up as the font "MingLiU_HKSCS", I don't know where that comes from. But [in Word] they can be changed to my required font from the ribbon menu. Not so in Excel.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Private Use glyphs not showing

Post by Erwin Denissen »

FontCreator 9 automatically takes care of almost all settings that might cause such problems, so it is best to upgrade. It will save you a lot of time.

We haven't used that version for a long time, so I'm not sure if this makes sense, but maybe the specific Unicode Character Range setting is not checked.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Fonts

Post by Fonts »

Please stop asking me to upgrade your software, for each question that I have posted you keep telling me to do this, whether for commercial or technical reasons, it's not good practice. If it's a technical issue then one would expect a patch without having to pay extra.
I purchased version 6 a few years ago, used it for a period then and need it for a period of time now.
Sorry to criticise.
If you can help with my issue that would be appreciated. I removed the unicode mapping as a trial but still would not work.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Most people who are looking at the forum are potential new customers who currently only read about your problems that are no longer happening with the current version of FontCreator, so we must make them aware that you are using a version from 2010 or 2011.

Please try to see if my previous suggestion helps.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Fonts

Post by Fonts »

I have stated I'm using version 6.
I cannot find any previous posts with this issue.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Fonts

Post by Fonts »

This worked for me.
Go to menu ... Format/Mappings. Choose platform "Windows Unicode UCS-4" if it is available. Click the button "Include Windows Unicode BMP (UCS-2)".
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Perfect!
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Fonts

Post by Fonts »

Thanks for the quick replies.