Should I class a single glyph?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Jonne Haven

Should I class a single glyph?

Post by Jonne Haven »

Greets all,

I'm beginning to class kern to save time and space and I wondered if it prudent to make the first of the pair a class even if there is only on glyph in the class.

I'm still unable to bold from FontCreator to Word to printer, mysterious, please look into if you please. I'll supply any files you might need.

Blessings,

Jonne
Jonne Haven

Re: Should I class a single glyph?

Post by Jonne Haven »

Oh and where it says PairAdjustment1 and two numbers in parentheses, which is the actual number to be concerned with?

Jonne
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

There's no harm in using a class with a single glyph. If you think you may want to add more glyphs to the class later it will save work.

Here is a quick demo of kerning pairs with both classes and single glyphs. The number 4 in the brackets refers to the number of lookups, the number 6 refers to the total number of pairs. The VW class contains 2 glyphs 2+2+2 = 6.
Pair Adjustment.png
Pair Adjustment.png (37.86 KiB) Viewed 3075 times
In this case, the same adjustment is used between A and V as between A and W. The values are large for this test font because funits/em = 8192.

Code: Select all

lookup PairAdjustment1 {
  pos A T <-1142> <0>;
  pos A @VW <-1636> <0>;
  pos T A <-1118> <0>;
  pos @VW A <-1636> <0>;
}
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Jonne Haven

Post by Jonne Haven »

Thanks for the input, I didn't quite get it all but it's good to know that I can class one glyph without taking up space.

Fast response as usual. I wondering about the pair adjustment number because I realized that FontCreator 10 won't kern on export if you have subtables too high. I'm keeping mine under 10,000 and that solved the disappearing kern problem. I'd like to know which number, the first (before classes are broken) or if the second number is the actual kerns. I need to keep my kerns low but I don't know which number does what. Haha.

Blessings Bhikkhu
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Jonne Haven wrote:I wondering about the pair adjustment number because I realized that FontCreator 10 won't kern on export if you have subtables too high. I'm keeping mine under 10,000 and that solved the disappearing kern problem.
That shouldn't be a problem, so it looks like we need to fix a bug here.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I've installed the font you send me earlier this month, and printed a Word document which seems to work just fine:
print.png
print.png (270.7 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
I'll send you the exported font so you can install and test it.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology