Use of Fontcreator glyphs

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Jonne Haven

Use of Fontcreator glyphs

Post by Jonne Haven »

Greets,

I want to know if the glyphs that come with Fontcreator can be used in my own font. In this case I tweaked the 'dagger' a bit. I don't feel like starting from scratch though, so I wondered if the included glyphs can be used.

Thanks

Jonne
Dagger Tweaked.png
Dagger Tweaked.png (17.13 KiB) Viewed 3776 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Use of Fontcreator glyphs

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Yes. The default glyphs are royalty free, and can be included as is, or modified however you wish.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

The same goes for 'Kelvinch', please feel free to download it and use any of the glyphs modified or unmodified in your own creations.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

PJMiller wrote:The same goes for 'Kelvinch', please feel free to download it and use any of the glyphs modified or unmodified in your own creations.
Your Kelvinch font contains glyphs copied from my fonts so it is covered by the GNU license agreement. This agreement has strings attached, so your Kelvinch font also has the same strings.

Are these fonts copyright? Yes. Although they are free, they are subject to copyright under the GNU License. You may modify the fonts, include glyphs in your own fonts, and even sell your modified versions, but if you do they must also be released under the same GNU License terms. Modified versions must be renamed.

"Royalty free" means that you can include the default glyphs (0-9, dagger, etc.) in commercial fonts and set any license conditions that you deem fit.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

<sigh> ... I was merely making the point that Kelvinch is free for anyone to do anything with apart from sell it (unmodified), I was not trying to imply that I was giving special permission to use the glyphs, that permission is written into the license.

I thought Kelvinch was under the SIL Open Font license which basically says the same as the GNU license but in fewer words.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

PJMiller wrote:I thought Kelvinch was under the SIL Open Font license which basically says the same as the GNU license but in fewer words.
They're similar.

I want to be sure that Jonne realises that if he uses any of the glyphs from your font or mine, he cannot then prevent anyone else from doing the same with his fonts, which must be released under the same CopyLeft GNU or SIL agreement. Perhaps he may spend years developing his fonts, as you and I both have, but may not be willing to let others just copy the glyphs that he creates.

This is not the case for the default outlines included in a New font made with FontCreator.
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

Sorry, I guess I was making a big and unjustified assumption that everyone on the forum wants to provide their fonts free for the benefit of others.

I am aware that many people do it for a living and so want to profit from their endeavours but I guess I just forgot temporarily. :oops: