Pair values all zero?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Psymon

Pair values all zero?

Post by Psymon »

Okay, my battle with kerning my font continues! :shock:

This morning, I decided to start my kerning all from scratch -- last time I'd "finished" (supposedly), I validated things in the code editor and somehow ended up with tons of overlapping classes, so I started all over from nothing. Now, after a fair bit of fiddling and re-doing of things this morning, I've gotten rid of all those overlapping classes, but I still get a whole ton of instances of "pair values all zero" (for such-and-such a glyph paired with whichever other such glyph).

What do I do about those? There's no clean-up feature to just delete them all, as there is to delete unused classes. Do I just leave them, and that's okay? Or do I have to go through each and every one of them, one-by-one, and delete those lines from the script? There's no automated way to clean that up?

Interestingly, I googled "pair values all zero" (with the quotes, to keep it as a search "phrase") and there's not a single website on the 'net that has that phrase -- not one! And searching for that phrase here in these forums also yields not a single relevant result. Interesting... :roll:
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Pair values all zero?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Right-click on the pair adjustment lookup, and select "Trim." Remove any values below what you consider to be the least worth having — in my opinion 21 funits is about right for a 2048 funits/em. Anything less than that might as well be discarded; whether positive or negative.

To check what threshold suits you, scroll through the pairs lookup to find a small value, and click the clear button, then reset. This example shows a pair with a kern value of -18, compared to one with zero. This pair would be deleted by trimming all values under 21 funits.
Small Kern Value.gif
Small Kern Value.gif (16.34 KiB) Viewed 2447 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Psymon

Re: Pair values all zero?

Post by Psymon »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Right-click on the pair adjustment lookup, and select "Trim." Remove any values below what you consider to be the least worth having — in my opinion 21 funits is about right for a 2048 funits/em. Anything less than that might as well be discarded; whether positive or negative.
Awesome. I can't tell you how nice it is to see:

Code: Select all

Syntax check script
Elapsed time: 00:00:04.649
Succeeded
Thank you once again, Bhikku! :D