Font weight settings are ignored after font installation

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
hamoda108

Font weight settings are ignored after font installation

Post by hamoda108 »

I created a font in four styles (regular, bold, italic, bolditalic) with FCP 5. I used the AutoNaming tool for naming the fonts. I set the style settings in the Font Design field under Format->Settings->Metrics. I deleted all language-settings in the naming dialogue-box except English (US) and added a German subfamily name for all fonts. I even checked the name settings for the Mac platform which are identical to the Microsoft platform. I could not find any faults in all these settings.

When viewing the uninstalled fonts via the fontview tool of Windows ME, the fonts are displayed correctly when opening the next style after closing the last one. When opening the styles one by one without closing the last ones, the styles are confused, i.e. straight and italic are displayed correctly but the font weight (medium/bold) is somehow getting "lost": When opening the regular style first, the bold style is displayed as regular (eventhough the name is correctly given as "bold") and when opening the bold first, the regular is displayed as bold as well. Same with the italic styles: When opening italic first, bolditalic is displayed as italic and vice versa. The names are always correct.

After installing the fonts via the font installation tool of Windows ME, the fonts seem to be installed correctly. The names indicated in the fonts folder are correct. Even when verifying the single styles by the procedure used above, the fonts are alright. But when using them for example in Word, all styles are bold, and again straight and italic are displayed correctly.

It seems that the font weight setting in the fonts are somehow "weak" and are being ignored when using them together.

Does anyone have an idea where the problem is and what can be done?

You can download the fonts at http://www.gauranga.de/vedanta.zip (13 kB)
(Don't be confused about the font, it's just a few characters and no full set.)

Thank you!
Hamoda108
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

As described in the user manual, these values need to be adjusted as well:

For a bold or bold italic version:
- Set Classification Weight to Bold - on the Format menu, click Settings and then click on the General tab.
- Set Panose Weight to Bold - on the Format menu, click Settings and then click on the Classification tab.

For an italic or bold italic version:
- Set Italic Angle to a negative value (e.g. -16.33) - on the Format menu, click Settings and then click on the Post tab.
- Set Caret Slope values through Calculate Rise and Run - on the Format menu, click Settings and then click on the General tab.

Let us know your results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
hamoda108

It works!

Post by hamoda108 »

Excellent! Thank you for your immediate support and best wishes to the Netherlands from Berlin...

hamoda108