The End of Proof font

Please try to keep all the discussions in the main forums on topic! If you have anything else, related to fonts, you want to share, please post it here!
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

The End of Proof font

Post by William »

Earlier this morning I started a thread in the Gallery forum about my End of Proof font.

All was well with producing the font and testing it. However, when I checked the links in the post the font does not show properly.

I checked when I did it that I uploaded the font to the web as a binary file.

I have since deleted the font from the web and uploaded it again, but the problem is still there.

The font worked well on this local PC and, as far as I can tell, is fine. However, maybe something about it being just one displayable glyph might have led to the problem, though .notdef, nonmarkingreturn and space are all in the font.

Any ideas please?

William Overington

19 October 2007
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

What exactly goes wrong? When I click the link, the font is opened with Windows Font Viewer:
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Well, it appears that you have got exactly what I intended that you should have got, so it appears that there is nothing wrong at your end.

However I got, and still get, a load of text instead, as follows.

maxp namexÖ3H©post8Ù Hô4
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Even stranger, when I accepted the download as ENDPROOF.html and then changed the suffix of the file, after it had been downloaded to a directory on the local hard drive, to TTF and then opened the file using FontCreator 5.6, it validated!

William
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Somehow your browser doesn't treat the file as it should. I've uploaded the same file here, maybe that helps:
postedfiles/ENDPROOF.TTF
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Erwin Denissen wrote:Somehow your browser doesn't treat the file as it should. I've uploaded the same file here, maybe that helps:
postedfiles/ENDPROOF.TTF
Thank you for uploading the file.

It does not seem to make any difference to what I observe.

I have it in mind to make an experimental font with a copy of the glyph mapped to an exclamation mark as well and observe what happens with that.

William
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I would suspect the same issue with every font you try to download. Anyway let us know your results. Also you might want to try a different browser (e.g. Mozilla Firefox).
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

I have now produced the experimental font and uploaded it to the web.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/ENDPROOE.TTF

The problem which I experienced with the original font appears to be resolved with this font.

I added the extra glyph after the space character and then did a copy and paste special, with all four checkboxes ticked, of the exclamation mark glyph from the Angle 004 font to the End of Proof Experimental font and I then copied the glyph design for the END OF PROOF character within the End of Proof Experimental font.

William
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Some readers may have read the following thread.

viewtopic.php?t=1475

Earlier today I uploaded the latest development version of the font.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/EUTOA416.TTF

Yet upon testing the link I got the same effect as I got with the End of Proof font, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

I copied the link from an earlier post in the same thread and then just changed the 5 to become a 6.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/EUTOA415.TTF

Yet that link works fine.

A strange effect which I do not understand.

William Overington

5 January 2008
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Yesterday morning I uploaded a new version of my Sonnet to a Renaissance Lady font to the web, version 0.23.

I posted a note about the availability of the new version in the following thread.

viewtopic.php?t=1476

That thread has four posts, each of which contains a link to the font.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/SONNETRL.TTF

There is also in one of the posts a link to a related font.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/SONNETLI.TTF

After posting I checked that the link to the font was working and tried it from the new post.

I got the strange effect of lots of gibberish text on a web page, rather than the expected Windows dialogue panel asking "Do you want to open or save this file?".

The other links to the same font file do the same.

Trying a right click with Save Target As... offers to save a file SONNETRL.htm as an HTML document.

I have tried uninstalling the font locally (it had been installed during testing, before uploading a copy to the web: uploading being from the development folder, not from the fonts folder) and trying again, yet this seems to make no difference.

This does not appear to be anything to do with the link from this forum. I manually keyed the whole link for the font directly into Internet Explorer and got the same result as a left click on the link from the forum.

I am wondering why this is happening. Can anyone spot anything in the font file which could be causing this strange effect? Does anyone else get this effect? Could it be some problem with how the font is stored on the server? I uploaded it by ftp using binary. I did not delete the previous version first, but I have uploaded "on top of" with various fonts previously with no problems: also this effect has occurred when new fonts have been uploaded.

Puzzled at present, yet wondering if there is some simple explanation behind this effect.

William Overington

25 March 2008
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: The End of Proof font

Post by William »

Cross-referenced to the following thread.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2512

William Overington

11 December 2008