Font provenance

Please try to keep all the discussions in the main forums on topic! If you have anything else, related to fonts, you want to share, please post it here!
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Font provenance

Post by William »

I have been having a look at a thread in the archives of the Unicode mailing list and was looking at the following post.

http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicod ... /0002.html

The guest user name and password for access to the archives are available on the following page.

http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/

I saw the following sentence.
It's more difficult than you may imagine to get strangers to install fonts.
Now that sentence is in that post in a particular context, yet the sentence got me thinking.

I often post links to my own fonts both here and elsewhere, including in our own family webspace.

I have been imagining that some people install my fonts and try them out, yet now I am wondering whether the perceived danger of installing a font obtained from a web link means that, in practice, very few people (maybe nobody?) would take the risk that it is thought might exist.

I have for a long time thought that companies might well be unwilling to use my fonts simply because there is no formal written licence from a business entity. So I have made some attempts, thus far unsuccessful, to have my fonts included on a disc for a desktop publishing package specifically so that the fonts would have a licence from a business entity with them.

I am wondering what exactly is the situation and am wondering whether it might be a good idea to suggest in the FontCreator - Requests and Enhancements forum that High-Logic please consider initiating a service, for a fee, whereby a font producer may send in a font by email to High-Logic, High-Logic would look it over, verify it and test it and then make it available, perhaps on the web, perhaps on a CD, perhaps by a secure download facility, so that the font has the provenance of having been supplied by High-Logic on the basis of having been tested for safety.

Any ideas?

William Overington

1 November 2007