Using the Hot Beverage character

Please try to keep all the discussions in the main forums on topic! If you have anything else, related to fonts, you want to share, please post it here!
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Using the Hot Beverage character

Post by William »

Do you use the Hot Beverage character for indicating refreshment breaks in timetables for meetings?

If so, the following pdf might be a useful facility as a source for the character, particularly when using an application which does not have an Insert Symbol facilty.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/t ... verage.pdf

However, many widely-used commercial fonts do not include a glyph for the character, though a number of fonts from individual font publishers do include a glyph for the character.

The first font which I published was a Hot Beverage font, in February 2003, made using the Softy program. The font is still available on the web.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/font7001.htm

William Overington

18 August 2008
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Maybe not

Post by Dick Pape »

It is not practical to have one pdf for every symbol you might ever need.

Most symbol fonts of signs contain 30-90 different signs.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You can use Babelmap for this task. It is free and has lots of options for searching glyphs. You can cut and paste characters, hex, or decimal code-points, and paste characters into its buffer to convert characters to codes or vice versa.
☕☏☃♔♿

You could, of course, use a wonderful program called MainType to do the same task. It can paste characters into the background application like this:

⅛♪
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Maybe not

Post by William »

Dick Pape wrote:It is not practical to have one pdf for every symbol you might ever need.
Indeed.

There are really two reasons for that pdf. One is that the Hot Beverage font was the first font which I published. I was learning how to make fonts and wanted to publish a font. The Hot Beverage symbol was at the time very new in Unicode and I wanted to try to be the first to publish a font containing it.

The second is that the software used to produce the pdf and the pdf in the "A facility for entering Esperanto accented characters" thread was installed on the computer last Saturday. It is called Serif PagePlus X2. Previously I had used Serif PagePlus 11, which is the version before it. PagePlus X2 is not the latest version, the latest version in PagePlus X3. However a major improvement of PagePlus X2 form PagePlus 11 is that characters are embedded as characters in pdfs. Previously glyphs above U+00FF were converted to curves. So neither of the pdfs would have worked had they been produced using PagePlus 11. So I was trying to produce something using the new-to-me facility.

The following item from last year should ideally use fi ligatures on both pages 1 and 2 yet only uses them on page 2 due to the converting of glyphs above U+00FF to curves in the PagePlus 10 software used to produce it and the extra size of the pdf as a result of doing so.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/m ... e_idea.PDF

Some readers might like to download a copy and have a look at the font choices which I made for what I consider an important publication.

Your comment rang a bell and reminded me of a comment made when I published the Hot Beverage font!

http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicod ... /0338.html
Dick Pape wrote: Most symbol fonts of signs contain 30-90 different signs.
The typecase_ pdfs which I am suggesting could vary in size. Some could contain a few glyphs and some could contain many.

William Overington

18 August 2008
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
☕☏☃♔♿
Analysed using SC Unipad as the following.

\u2615\u260f\u2603\u2654\u267f

Some readers might like the following link.

http://www.unipad.org/

William Overington

18 August 2008
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:You could, of course, use a wonderful program called MainType to do the same task. It can paste characters into the background application like this:

⅛♪
+1 for MainType ;-)

Best of all, it shows you whether a specific character does exist in a font.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: ☕☏☃♔♿
I have found that if one copies the above quoted characters into WordPad and then formats them using Bhikkhu Pesala's Garava font, then glyphs for the characters are displayed.

A link to a thread about the Garava font.

viewtopic.php?t=1479

The code chart which includes the characters is available from the following page from the link "Miscellaneous Symbols".

http://www.unicode.org/charts/symbols.html

A direct link to the code chart is as follows.

http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2600.pdf

Thus far I am aware of six different glyph designs for the Hot Beverage character: one in the code chart, one in the Garava font, one in the Code2000 font and three in my own fonts, namely in the Hot Beverage font, in the Quest text font and in the 10000 font.

William Overington

19 August 2008
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

More Cups

Post by Dick Pape »

Here's 11 more...

postedfiles/Cups.ttf
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: More Cups

Post by William »

Dick Pape wrote:Here's 11 more...

postedfiles/Cups.ttf
Thank you.

By using the Tools Options... Overview Symbol Chars option of FontCreator 5.6 I was able to find that the key presses for the eleven cups are as follows.

!"#$%&'()*+

I have them displayed at 72 point in WordPad in one line.

William Overington

19 August 2008
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Here is a time saver:

Select the characters in the Overview window and then press the "P". You will get all characters in the preview edit field.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology