A query regarding the positioning of characters in a font

Post questions about type and font design here.
Chandan

A query regarding the positioning of characters in a font

Post by Chandan »

Hi all,

I want to develop a font, in which few characters have to be displayed on top of others (depending on the sequence). For eg. when I type '3' followed by '4', the display should look like ¾. One way of doing that would be creating substitution rules in VOLT:

"unicode for 3" + "unicode for 4" = "unicode for ¾"

But, if my numerator and denominator can be of two digits each, this will require 100*100 substitution entries. And, if they can consist of three digits, this will become unmanageable.

Does there exist any other elegant way to do this ? Some font technique, where we can type from "top to bottom" instead of the regular "left to right".

Any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks,
--Chandan
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I don't think there is an easy solution, but to be sure, I suggest you post a similar question to this forum:
http://typophile.com/forum/6

Do let us know your results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Jowaco

Post by Jowaco »

If you are looking for, and find, a font which somehow will do what you ask, please will you let us know? I've been pondering this for years and found no answer in fonts. Clearly, if you are looking for a font, then you wish to type using some application. What is this application? If it is Microsoft Word I can help.
Is this what you wish to do?
The illustration shows the use of two macros, on buttons, in MS Word.
Jowaco.