need help: alphabet that change its dots

Post questions about type and font design here.
asar

need help: alphabet that change its dots

Post by asar »

Afternoon everybody. first of all, I would like to thank you to Bhikku Pesala for helping me on some matters about my fonts - long time ago. Ok guys, I am facing two new problems and i really appreciate if someone could help me to solve them, they are:
1- There is a Jāwi font/ alphabet/ letter namely alphabet: Nyaa' or Nyā’ (used in Malay language, its originated from Arabic font since it form/ shape is like Arabic letter Noon with three dots above: 06BD). The right way for this font to appear is that it changes its three dots’ place (originally at the top of it) to the bottom of the alphabet when it in initial (FB58, I made it as FB58) and medial forms (FB59, i made it as FB59). However, the three dots will still same as original, i.e. at the top of the alphabet when it is alone (067E, i made it as E100), in isolated form (FB56, I made as F856) and in final form (FB57, however i made it as FB57). Fyi, i tried to define the Jawi alphabet (Nyaa') with Arabic font Peh (067E, FB56, FB57, FB58, FB59)- letter Peh seems to be most close to letter Nyaa . Even though all forms/ rubrics of alphabet Nyaa' are written correct in my font, but when I test it in Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator (MKLC), it appears right only in two forms: 1- Initial and medial forms whereby the three dots are under the font). But the dots are still under the font when it is alone, in isolated and final forms- by right they should be on top of the font? Anybody could help me in this, please?

2- I have created my own fonts that comprised of Latin/ English and Arabic (including Jāwi fonts) fonts and I put them under Asar Fonts. I installed Asar Fonts in my computer, but when I type Arabic text in Microsoft words, it appears as font Arial- not Asar Fonts, except if I type in English. Why that problem happens?

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely - your friend.
Asar Abd KarimTogether we make this temporary world a better place to live
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: need help: alphabet that change its dots

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I found your earlier thread under a different username.

It is hard for us to help with Arabic fonts. Currently, you need to use 3rd party software to add OpenType features. Is use OpenType Compiler as I find it much easier than VOLT.

Try Format, Settings, Ranges, Calculate Unicode ranges and code-pages to get Word to recognise that your font supports Arabic.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
asar

Re: need help: alphabet that change its dots

Post by asar »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I found your earlier thread under a different username.

It is hard for us to help with Arabic fonts. Currently, you need to use 3rd party software to add OpenType features. Is use OpenType Compiler as I find it much easier than VOLT.

Try Format, Settings, Ranges, Calculate Unicode ranges and code-pages to get Word to recognise that your font supports Arabic.

Ok, thanks, I'll try it.
Asar Abd KarimTogether we make this temporary world a better place to live