Two color font

Post questions about type and font design here.
rbrowngps

Two color font

Post by rbrowngps »

Is it possible to create a font with two colors. I have attached an image of what I am trying to do.

I could only find one post that somewhat dealt with the subject, but it did not give instructions that I can understand; that post read:

"The TrueType and OpenType specifications do not allow for color. Those features must be handled by markup. If you want a multi-colored glyph - like old titling figures - you need to specify multiple glyphs, each one to take a particular color in the character, then create an OpenType multiple substitution that will replace the single character with multiple overlapping glyphs, then hand color each glyph to the appropriate color on an ad hoc basis.".

Can anyone shed more light on the two color font subject?
Attachments
A_Name_Symbol.gif
A_Name_Symbol.gif (2.01 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Two color font

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Fonts are monochrome — you can have any colour you want as long as its black. Clockwise contours are filled (with black), anticlockwise contours are transparent (not white, they have no fill at all).

If you want two colours, then you need to do that in another program. Your example could be done by typing an "a", then a combining dot above, then colour each glyph separately in your word-processor or DTP application.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486