Serif and sans serif features in one font

Post questions about type and font design here.
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Serif and sans serif features in one font

Post by William »

I am reviewing one of my fonts, namely the Sonnet to a Renaissance Lady font.

I have not updated the font for several years.

The story of the font starts within a thread named Fonts in Development, where the font was named Pixel Text in its early days.

viewtopic.php?p=5425#p5425

Later, the font was given the name Sonnet to a Renaissance Lady and its own thread in the Gallery forum.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1476

The font itself has not been updated since 2008, though a font derived from it, namely Sonnet Calligraphic has been updated quite often.

The font has also been used as the starting point for the Localizable Sentences font, where the text characters in the font are from the Sonnet to a Renaissance Lady font. Indeed a few text characters, such as + and @ have been added into the text character set of the Localizable Sentences font. In any update of the Sonnet to a Renaissance Lady font, those new glyphs could usefully be copied into the Sonnet to a Renaissance Lady font.

When I started the Sonnet Calligraphic font, starting with a copy of the Sonnet to a Renaissance Lady font, I changed the design of the lowercase t, making it lower.

Recently I was trying to produce an alternate w for the Sonnet Calligraphic font, by using two copies of the letter v. The original w is a curved design.

Trying the new design for w, I wondered whether the Sonnet to a Renaissance Lady font would be better with that design of w as the basic design.

Thus I began to review the Sonnet to a Renaissance Lady font.

Something that I find interesting about the font, something that basically just happened as I produced it, is that ascenders have serifs, descenders have serifs, the part-ascenders have serifs (I do not know the correct term, I have just used part-ascender here for the top of the vertical of m, n, p and r, I am open to learning if there is an existing term) yet there are no baseline serifs and there are no serifs on the capitals and no serifs on the upper parts of some lowercase letters where one might in a serifed font expect to find serifs.

I am wondering just how unusual is that combination of serif and sans serif in one font?

Does anyone know of any other fonts with a combination of serif and sans serif aspects please?

William Overington

29 May 2012
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Serif and sans serif features in one font

Post by Dick Pape »

Checkout fonts named semi serif.
semis.jpg
semis.jpg (19.92 KiB) Viewed 5991 times
Such as:
AgfaRotis (or Rotis) SemiSerif,
Ecliptica SemiSerif,
Ela Demiserif,
Keule Semi Serif EF,
Libre Semi Serif SSI,
Orgánica GMM Semiserif Roman
SquircleCirsquare (!) semiserif
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Serif and sans serif features in one font

Post by William »

Thank you for your reply.

I had not met the term semi serif before reading your post.

So, my Sonnet to a Renaissance Lady font can be described as a semi serif font.

Thank you.

William Overington

1 June 2012