Relative Quality of a Font & FCP's Problem Report

Post questions about type and font design here.
mikeycorn

Relative Quality of a Font & FCP's Problem Report

Post by mikeycorn »

Just curious here . . .

Can you pretty much judge the quality of a font and the professional skill of that font's creator by the amount of problems reported via FCP's Problem Report feature?

Could FCP ever be considered a bit too overzealous flagging things that aren't really a problem and aren't really a drag on the rendering of the font?

Do you ever see cream of the crop fonts still coming up with some scattered errors reported in FCP's Problem Report?
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

Hello mikeycorn

I think you are right in one sense that fonts coming from the major vendors are very clean. (If I'm gonna pay $24 for one it better be good!) I've found some that had problems -- but that is really rare.

I've not needed to change any Microsoft (71). I have changed 40 out of 600 from Bitstream - mostly in reaction to Validate errors.

But start talking about the 1,000 for $4 or otherwise "free" fonts and you get what you pay for. You can also get "beta" fonts which will have "some issues" (missing an "X" for instance). That's when FCP really helps.

I don't believe FCP reports things that aren't there but I do think you can chose to change/correct them as you need.

You pretty much can make corrections so as not to change the integrity of the curve so you are doing no damage I believe.

Dick