Working With Transformations

Before asking a question on FontCreator look here for possible solutions and tutorials. Please do not post support requests here.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Unmapped Small Capitals

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:52 pm

FontCreator 10.1 makes it easier to create Small Capitals if your font already contains Petite Capitals.

New Transform scripts allow Small Capitals (or Petite Capitals) to be created without mapping them to any code-points. Using unmapped glyphs is fine as long as the target applications support OpenType features, or have a method of inserting unmapped glyphs.

Before running the Unmapped Small Capitals transform script you might want to run the script to insert Unmapped Low Profile Diacritics first. These smaller accents should be designed for use with Petite or Small Capitals. They are also more suitable for use with Uppercase I, and lowercase l and i.

There are separate Transform scripts for Latin and Greek Small and Petite Capitals.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC10.1 Pro + MT7.0 @ Win10

Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Unmapped Tabular or Proportional Figures

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:29 pm

If the figures in your font are not a uniform width, it may be useful to add an OpenType feature for Tabular Figures. Conversely, if the figures are a uniform width, you might like to add a feature for Proportional Figures.

There are transform scripts for each of these. The advance width of Tabular figures is based on figure zero, and the side-bearings for proportional figures are defined in CompositeData.xml. After running the scripts, you may want to adjust the spacing to suit your font's design.

Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Unmapped Stylistic Alternates

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:37 pm

To add a set of Decorative Drop Capitals to your font, run the Transform script for Unmapped Stylistic Alternates. This will insert an alphabet of A-Z named as A.salt to Z.salt. It will compose the glyphs from the Capital letters in your font. Import images into each glyph or redesign them with swashes, etc., to make them decorative. Then add a Stylistic Alternates OpenType feature to use them.

Stylistic Alternates.png
Stylistic Alternates.png (92.19 KiB) Viewed 85 times

Please ask questions about the Glyph Transform feature in the support forum.

Return to “FontCreator - Tutorials and Solutions”