Changing Platforms Without Losing Maps

Before asking a question on FontCreator look here for possible solutions and tutorials. Please do not post support requests here.
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Changing Platforms Without Losing Maps

Post by Dick Pape »

When an alphabetic font has been assigned to Microsoft Symbol platform it is time for a change.

While FC gives a direct conversion from the Microsoft Symbol platform to Microsoft Unicode BMP only, some maps may be lost as FC cautions us.

A convenient away around this is to make sure Post Script Names are turned on (Post.../Include Postscript Names/Generate Names) and then:

a. Delete the Microsoft Symbol Platform.

b. Add Platform: "Microsoft/Unicode BMP only" and click "Generate from PostScript Names".

c. Perform Autonaming to finish the font names and all the characters will be correctly mapped and the platform corrected.
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Thanks!

Post by Dave Crosby »

As always, clear thinking, direct and to the point problem solving!

Thanks Dick!
Aut nunc aut nunquam
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

This is an excellent trick, although the direct conversion should give equal results! With both, at least one mapping will never make it, the glyph that should be mapped to character $F0F0. This is because Macintosh Roman codepoint $00F0 represents the Apple logo and Apple has a trademark on it.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

It's a direct conversion if the font is correct.

enStep created hundreds of fonts which were messed up! For each name they perhaps "appropriated" a font and made an extended version (probably taller) and one they call -3D which has an unreadable 30-40 degree italic angle. They published these two using the same name (e.g., IDEA.ttf) -- even though there were wildly different designs. They became duplicate fonts in my scheme of things.

So my problem has been to differentiate the two versions by renaming them and fixing the platforms. Glyphs at the end of the font (from Scaron on back) are not mapped, even though the PostScript names are there. So when I "Change" the maps those unmapped characters remain unmapped.

My solution thus asks for them to be mapped to the Post Script names. It may have specific application, but it seems "fool proof" for any font as long as the postscript names are straight.