Skew transform should use angle instead of tangents

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
jamadagni

Skew transform should use angle instead of tangents

Post by jamadagni »

Currently skew transform uses tangent values. I learnt this only from viewtopic.php?p=15521#p15521. Neither the user interface nor the documentation explains this. (Sorry if I missed out seeing anything.)

Angles are more naturally understandable than tangent values. Inkscape uses angles for the skew transform.

Please change the skew transform tool (whether in Transform toolbox or in Glyph Transformer wizard) to use angles and not tangent values.
Shriramana Sharma
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Skew transform should use angle instead of tangents

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Use the italic transformation — then the angle is shown in degrees.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
jamadagni

Post by jamadagni »

1) This still doesn't make the angle capability available from the Transform dialog where it is often likely to be used. (I personally use the Glyph Transformer when unavoidable as in for multiple glyphs etc.)

2) If the only difference between the italic transform and the skew transform is the input units, then the italic transform should be *replaced* by the skew transform by changing the input units of skew to angles. Tangents are NOT intuitive.
Shriramana Sharma
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I agree, and will most likely further enhance the software per your suggestions. They will not be part of version 6 though.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology