Apply in OpenType Designer

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
Mike Thompson
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Apply in OpenType Designer

Post by Mike Thompson »

If I don't hit [OK] (I'm paranoid) the computer will surely crash, the power will go down, an asteroid will... Do I do hit [OK] but have to open the window again and remember which Lookup I was working on.
An [Apply] would save my data and not disrupt the workflow.
Mike
Mike Thompson
Hebrew Font Design
http://hebrew-font-shuneet.com
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: [Apply] in OpenType Designer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I would find this useful too. A lot of work can be lost while creating groups, and adding kerning pairs. I find that I frequently exit the dialogue to save changes to avoid losing work. I previously requested that Ctrl S would save the project file from this dialogue.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
delins

Post by delins »

Maybe change OK button to Apply button? And as far as I can tell, Close and Cancel options do the same thing - exit without saving... Maybe when hitting close button (the x icon) when changes were made, apply a "Changes were made, would you like to save? (and don't ask again option)"?

Thanks.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

delins wrote:Maybe change OK button to Apply button? And as far as I can tell, Close and Cancel options do the same thing - exit without saving... Maybe when hitting close button (the x icon) when changes were made, apply a "Changes were made, would you like to save? (and don't ask again option)"?

Thanks.
OK, Cancel, Help are pretty much standard dialogue buttons. Apply would save the changes without closing the dialogue, which would need a different button. Closing a dialogue with the X is the same function as Cancel, and does not require confirmation.

If Ctrl S worked to save the project while the OpenType Designer was open, that might be an alternative to an Apply button, though I can see that one might also need to apply changes while retaining the option of undo, which one would lose on saving the project.

My slight issue with an Apply button is that there are already a lot of buttons on this dialogue — it doesn't really need to be any more complex.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Mike Thompson wrote:If I don't hit [OK] (I'm paranoid) the computer will surely crash, the power will go down, an asteroid will... Do I do hit [OK] but have to open the window again and remember which Lookup I was working on.
An [Apply] would save my data and not disrupt the workflow.
Mike
I understand the need, so expect an "Apply" button to the left of the "OK" button with the next upcoming update!
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology