Font validation revisited

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
MikeW

Font validation revisited

Post by MikeW »

It's good that following running the font validation we can save out the text file of the results for working on characters that cannot be automatically fixed. I've read the threads on this subject concerning requests for being able to leave the dialog open for directly going to those characters.

Seeing how that appears to not be possible, would it be possible to, following valaidation, to have any characters needing further work to simply be tagged? I assume there is an array that is built and used to populate the dialog. If that were extended to also tag the results, one could then just make that tag active and when a character is fixed, we could remove the tag and it would then be removed from the view.

This would make pauses and returning for further work much easier.

Mike
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Font validation revisited

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

That would be a neat solution, but it might require a new (reserved?) tag as all five of the current tags might already be in use.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

Maybe it could be an option to set which tag you want to use for this purpose.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

This weekend I also thought about adding a tag to the glyphs, but while testing I realized you can only provide one tag per glyph, so this might mess up other uses for the tags.

Also based on your suggestions, I've now added a new Troubleshooting category to the font overview treeview, which will show all glyphs with Validation errors.
validationerrors.png
validationerrors.png (133.34 KiB) Viewed 9092 times
To update that category, you'll need to rerun the Validation wizard. That might be confusing, so I might need to add some explanation to the Validation wizard.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

That too was a thought I had. And I hadn't thought through a multiple tagging problem. Having the category is a fantastic solution.

Rerunning the validation is not an issue to me. Thanks, Erwin.

Mike
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

Erwin Denissen wrote:Also based on your suggestions, I've now added a new Troubleshooting category to the font overview treeview, which will show all glyphs with Validation errors.
Excelent thankyou very much. :D
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Would it be a good idea to no longer open a new glyph edit dialog, but show the glyph in a currently opened dilalog?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Hmm. Having a bit of trouble visualizing that possibility. So I dunno. I'll have to think about it.
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Since you can replace the contents of the current window (as you do when using the previous-glyph/next-glyph controls) I don't see any advantage to cluttering up the interface with multiple glyph edit windows.

I would also like to be able to tag glyphs from the glyph edit window. I noticed this when tagging a sequence of glyphs for review: it would save a huge amount of time if we could step to the next glyph and tag it from the edit window instead of firstly returning to the glyph overview.
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Erwin Denissen wrote:Would it be a good idea to no longer open a new glyph edit dialog, but show the glyph in a currently opened dilalog?
It does not seem like an improvement to prevent users from opening more than one glyph edit window, if that's what you mean. Indeed, some users might want to open all glyphs found by the trouble-shooter, and close the glyph edit windows one-by-one as they fix them. Glyph edit windows can be maximised as well as tiled or cascaded.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

This has been implemented in FontCreator 10.

After running the Font Validation wizard, those glyphs that still have validation errors can be filtered by using the Validation Issues item in the Trouble-shooting area of the Glyph Overview panel. As the glyphs are fixed, they will disappear from the filtered list.