Kerning in Opentype Designer Overlapping Glyph Outlines

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
Jonne Haven

Kerning in Opentype Designer Overlapping Glyph Outlines

Post by Jonne Haven »

Hello Erwin and Company,

Since I was given 10.0.2179 by Erwin the OT Designer does not show the white lines when viewing overlapping glyphs which happens in a script font. I wish for the feature back in 10.0.2125 which shows a white outline when kerning two glyphs in OT Designer as per the pic.
glyph overlapping.jpg
glyph overlapping.jpg (537.06 KiB) Viewed 6804 times
The latest version 10.1 also no longer shows the white outline making it near impossible to kern a cursive font that has a lot of overlapping. As per the pic.
glyph overlapping 10.1.jpg
glyph overlapping 10.1.jpg (538.23 KiB) Viewed 6804 times
I am forced to use the older font creator version until this feature is returned, ... I know that most people are not going to complain about this but there are those of us who need the 'white guideline' to kern with.

Thank you for your consideration and all the hardwork y'all are putting into improving the program.

Jonne
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Kerning in Opentype Designer Overlapping Glyph Outlines

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Try Ctrl + H to hide the fill.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Jonne Haven

Post by Jonne Haven »

Bhikkhu,

Control H doesn't do that in OT Designer. It "replaces text". It does get rid of the fill outside of OT Designer, but that does me no good. Sorry, didn't work.

Jonne
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Try Ctrl + H to hide the fill.
That won't work within the OpenType Designer, but you can now change the fill color through the settings tool button at the upper right corner:
fillcolor.png
fillcolor.png (42.87 KiB) Viewed 6798 times
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Jonne Haven

Post by Jonne Haven »

Ahh!!! Brilliant. Works like a charm!

I knew you'd figure it out, didn't think you'd do it in 10 minutes!

Much Mahalos,

Jonne
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Erwin Denissen wrote:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Try Ctrl + H to hide the fill.
That won't work within the OpenType Designer, but you can now change the fill color through the settings tool button at the upper right corner:
There's new stuff even I don't know about.

I recently found out that if you turn off the warning dialogue that appears when you try to add a kerning pair that already exists, then the OK button gets greyed out to stop you even trying to add a kerning pair twice. That's smart, though potentially puzzling if one forgets that one turned off the warning. I don't see any way to turn the warning on again, but I don't need it now that the OK button is disabled.

Are there any more Easter-eggs? I dare say we will find some more Christmas Turkeys too!
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486