• Uninstalling fonts through a double click

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
Garamond

• Uninstalling fonts through a double click

Post by Garamond »

I just became aware of a feature apparently introduced in MainType 2.1.1: "With this release the quickest and most convenient way to install or uninstall a single font is to double-click it. Based on the status of the font, MainType will install it or uninstall it."

Well, not so convenient if you in a stressful moment do it unintentionally on an installed font and just notice that it mysteriously disappears from the list of installed fonts. And no warning was given although I have the "Warn when uninstalling fonts" check box ticked. Go figure. So unfortunately I just managed to uninstall not one but two fonts in rapid succession. With over 1200 fonts installed on my computer (and a total count of more than 6000) I'm not even sure what fonts they were...

Would it be possible to have this sometimes not so convenient feature being turned off in the Options dialog? Mind you, I don't have the latest version of MainType (still using 2.1.1) so it might already be there. If not, please consider to add it in upcoming versions.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Uninstalling fonts through a double click

Post by Erwin Denissen »

At the moment the latest release of our font manager is version 5.

That version allows you to install and uninstall by clicking the font state icon in the font list:
uninstallclickstateicon.png
uninstallclickstateicon.png (278.33 KiB) Viewed 13268 times
We do not have a setting that disables this behavior, but if more people request it, we certainly consider adding it!

MainType 2 is pretty outdated, but I'm aware it is still an excellent font manager. However, if you ever wish to upgrade, be aware we have special upgrade prices:
http://www.high-logic.com/shop/upgrades.html
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
OldClicker

Post by OldClicker »

I'm a very new user of MainType 5.0 but certainly not new to fonts. I also found the lack of any confirmation/warning that a font was about to be uninstalled a **** nuisance. More than once I've inadvertently clicked on the green dot without meaning to - oops the font has gone. Only the change dialogue that pops up briefly gives me a clue that I've done it. Best to allow the user to disable this behaviour and use a right-click to do the job, or have a "did you really mean to do that" dialogue box pop up.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

There's already a setting in Options to warn when uinstalling more than 100 fonts. Perhaps all that is needed is an option to set the number to whatever one wants.

The double-click option is very useful, and I don't think its easy to do by mistake once you are aware of the issue. One could always hide the state column or move it to another column position to keep it more out of harm's way.
MT5 View Pane.png
MT5 View Pane.png (44.11 KiB) Viewed 13226 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
robcdesign

Post by robcdesign »

I'm in the same boat, I clicked on the green button without knowing what it did and uninstalled a font, is there any way to get it back? I am not really even sure what it was I uninstalled.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Alright, it looks like this feature request needs to be implemented as soon as possible. We will add it to our to-do list, so expect this to be included in the next upcoming major release of our font manager!
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology