[FIXED] No prompt when file location no longer accessible

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
jennie_z

[FIXED] No prompt when file location no longer accessible

Post by jennie_z »

This bug is in relation to FCP 5. I'm not sure if minor bug fixes are being supported on the older version any more, so this is "just in case!"

I just came across a bug which nearly gave me a heart attack. I had saved my font file on a removable USB drive this morning, accidentally mind you; normally I save all of my work to hard disk. At some point in the day, I unplugged the USB drive. In the meantime I was continuing to work on the font, saving regularly. FCP appeared to save the file properly each time, never prompting me to save in another location.

I noticed this error when I had closed, then tried to reopen the file and found it missing. The file that was last saved to the disk was from about 5 hours ago... I'm sure you can imagine how stressed out I felt at that point!

Well luckily I had a copy in my Windows temp folder. I'm not sure if FCP saved it here automatically when the removable disk was gone, or if the file was placed there for temporary purposes when I printed off a test run. Either way, I ended up losing only 5 minutes instead of 5 hours of work.

Just a little error message would be nice -- something that says "Disk no longer available / save file in a new location?" or even "Disk no longer available/ file saved in 'My Documents'"

Thank you! :)
-Jennie
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Need a prompt when font file location no longer accessible

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I'm surprised that no one replied to this yet.

I can confirm that it does seem to be a bug in the latest version too. This is a potentially critical bug as a great deal of work could be lost. Although the chances of saving to an external drive by accident are slim, it has happened to you so it could happen to others.
  1. Open a font from the hard drive
  2. Save as and save it on a removable drive
  3. Remove the removable drive
  4. Edit and save the font again (no error message so where was it saved?) :?
  5. Close FontCreator
  6. On restarting, error reading font data
    Could not read font data.png
    Could not read font data.png (8.12 KiB) Viewed 5968 times
  7. Font not found on opening from recent files :shock:
    File not found.png
    File not found.png (7.56 KiB) Viewed 5968 times
I was unable to find the saved font on Windows XP Home with a search of My Computer.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Re: Need a prompt when font file location no longer accessible

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I did read this post the day it was posted, but for some reason I forgot to respond...

It looks pretty critical, so we'll do our best to find a solution soon.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Re: Need a prompt when font file location no longer accessib

Post by Erwin Denissen »

jennie_z wrote:Well luckily I had a copy in my Windows temp folder. I'm not sure if FCP saved it here automatically when the removable disk was gone, or if the file was placed there for temporary purposes when I printed off a test run. Either way, I ended up losing only 5 minutes instead of 5 hours of work.
FontCreator does this by design, but still we would have expected an error message upon failure.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Need a prompt when font file location no longer accessib

Post by Dick Pape »

Curiosity question: Is the usb removed with "Safely Remove Hardware" agreeing?