[FIXED] Glyph properties

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
David Webber

[FIXED] Glyph properties

Post by David Webber »

The glyph properties dialogue in Font Creator 7 shows the left, right, and bottom of the bounding box.

Why not also the top? How do I see the exact height of a glyph without having to read it off the squares in the window?

Dave
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Glyph properties

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

David Webber wrote:How do I see the exact height of a glyph without having to read it off the squares in the window?
Use the Size or Position tabs of the Transform dialogue.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
David Webber

Post by David Webber »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
David Webber wrote:How do I see the exact height of a glyph without having to read it off the squares in the window?
Use the Size or Position tabs of the Transform dialogue.
Thanks - this is the trouble when you work on fonts, then do something else for a year or two, and then come back to it. :-( But Edit/SelectAll then F6 gets me there.

Still looks odd, though, that the top boundary is missing from the glyph properties?

Dave
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

David Webber wrote:Still looks odd, though, that the top boundary is missing from the glyph properties?
It definitely looks like a bug.

Glyph Properties

My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
David Webber

Post by David Webber »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: It definitely looks like a bug.
How did you do that? I even looked in the help system, and the top boundary is missing from the illustration there:
glyphproperties.jpg
glyphproperties.jpg (89.05 KiB) Viewed 11591 times
So I assumed it was a design feature.

Dave
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

We will have to wait for a comment from the developers. Maybe it's an intentional change from earlier versions, or a bug. The online manual is probably older than the Help system and PDF manual provided with the latest download.
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

I find that I cannot set an advance width directly as I could using FontCreator 5.6.

I often make fonts where the advance width of some of the characters is a key feature.

I find that I can work around the problem by making a calculation and then adjusting the right side bearing.

However, to me, it does seem strange that one cannot now set the advance width directly.

William Overington

16 September 2013
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:We will have to wait for a comment from the developers. Maybe it's an intentional change from earlier versions, or a bug. The online manual is probably older than the Help system and PDF manual provided with the latest download.
This is a bug for sure. Somehow we moved the label some 600 pixels to the left, so it actually went off the panel...

It will be fixed with the next upcoming release.
William wrote:I find that I cannot set an advance width directly as I could using FontCreator 5.6.

I often make fonts where the advance width of some of the characters is a key feature.
It won't be too hard to put it back, but what would be the best pace? Also people need to be aware changing the RSB will change the AW and vice versa.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Erwin Denissen wrote:
William wrote:I find that I cannot set an advance width directly as I could using FontCreator 5.6.

It won't be too hard to put it back, but what would be the best pace? Also people need to be aware changing the RSB will change the AW and vice versa.
I have produced a suggested layout idea. Here are two images: the first is as the panel appears now in a typical application scenario and the second is an artist's impression illustration of my suggestion that I have produced in Microsoft Paint by adapting a copy of the original image.
panel_now.png
panel_now.png (13.98 KiB) Viewed 11467 times
panel_suggested.png
panel_suggested.png (14.44 KiB) Viewed 11467 times
William Overington

17 September 2013
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I've just installed the latest version and the bug is still there. Over one year passed and still not fixed? :x
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Daniel wrote:I've just installed the latest version and the bug is still there. Over one year passed and still not fixed? :x
Perhaps the bug fix got accidentally moved off the ToDo list? :oops:

Confirmed here too on Windows 7 with 125% fonts and icons.
León Fridsma

Post by León Fridsma »

I'll poke Erwin about it to see if we can get this fixed.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I'm sure we did fix it, but I suspect we somehow managed to reintroduce the bug. I'm sorry about this, but for now this has no priority for us.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology