[Resolved] Kerning Pairs Cannot be Deleted

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

[Resolved] Kerning Pairs Cannot be Deleted

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I deleted all of the kerning pairs with digits in the attached project file, and save the project, but every time I reopen it the kerning pairs are back again.
Digit Kerning Pairs.png
Digit Kerning Pairs.png (34.62 KiB) Viewed 5508 times
Attachments
Kabala Regular.fcp
(176.71 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Kerning Pairs Cannot be Deleted

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

This project file also seems to be corrupted in the same way. The other projects in the font family are all OK.

I was able to reopen the exported *.otf files, which did not have the extra kerning pairs, and save the projects again to fix them.
Attachments
Kabala Semi-bold.fcp
(179.8 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

This is really strange, as I don't know why they keep coming back. I have to do some testing here to see if this affects other project files as well.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I really need a solution to this. I removed my Pali font from my web site because the kerning is really badly messed up.

I attach the latest project file for Pali, and the kerning text file.
Attachments
kern_Pali Regular.txt
(111.72 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
Pali Project.7z
(806.88 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I found a solution to the problem, good enough to make my fonts fit to use anyway. Further refinements of the kerning can wait until next time now.
  1. I opened the Pali Regular.fcp project file, edited the export settings to remove kerning tables, and exported the font as Pali Regular.otf
  2. I opened the Pali Regular.otf file, imported the kerning table from a text file, cleaned up the kerning pairs, adding some more using Autokern, and exported the kerning text file as Pali Regular.txt
  3. I changed the Export setting back to including Kern tables, and saved it — overwriting the previous project file — then exported the Pali Regular.otf again — now with kerning.
  4. I repeated for Pali Italic, but importing the Pali Regular.txt kerning values, tidying those up before exporting to Pali Italic.txt
  5. I repeated the procedure for Bold using the Pali Regular kerning values, and Bold Italic using the Italic kerning values.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Here is another font with similar problems. Even trying the above method, I cannot rid of the unwanted kerning pairs on the numerals.

It has me baffled. I sort my fonts by Unicode code-points, then manually rearrange those at the end, which are not mapped to get them in a sensible order. That might be how the Kern Tables get corrupted.

I also edit UnicodeData.txt, Blocks.txt, and GlyphNames.dat, which might upset FontCreator.

There are so many variables, it's hard to track down the possible cause. Hopefully, not many users will be affected by this bug, if it is a bug, and not something unexpected that I am doing.
Attachments
kern_Talapanna Regular.txt
(38.24 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
Talapanna Regular.fcp
(259.3 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I got it fixed now, but still not too sure about what caused it. Could be something to do with Export Settings.
Attachments
Talapanna Bold Export Settings.png
Talapanna Bold Export Settings.png (34.62 KiB) Viewed 5438 times