[FIXED] New Kerning Pair window

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
Mike Thompson
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

[FIXED] New Kerning Pair window

Post by Mike Thompson »

I'm adding a kerning pair consisting of a character and a group. I check [Only Show Groups]
and select a group, then I uncheck [Only Show Groups] to select the single character.
My selection of the group is lost!
Revresing the order (select single character first) does not work either.

Also why does the first item in the list select itself?
Mike
Mike Thompson
Hebrew Font Design
http://hebrew-font-shuneet.com
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: New Kerning Pair window

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Mike Thompson wrote:Also why does the first item in the list select itself?
The lists are repopulated on enabling/disabling the checkbox. Also, if nothing was selected, you would not be able to scroll down the list with the keyboard cursor keys, or by typing a letter.

For example, without showing the groups, I can select the pair T + @A_Caps by typing: T, Down, Tab, A, Enter. If only the groups are shown, one first has to give focus to the list by pressing a cursor key. That happens because enabling the checkbox takes focus away from the list.

I don't see the current behaviour as a bug — the dialogue is not designed to show groups on one list only, and leaving a single glyph selected after showing only groups would be confusing since one could not see anything selected.

The user can select "Show only Groups" to speed up the process of selecting pairs, but for pairing a single glyph with a group one must obviously show both single glyphs and groups.

Separating the left and right lists would not be an improvement as for the most common use case — pairing two groups — one would have to enable two checkboxes.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Mike Thompson
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Mike Thompson »

Gosh!
Mike Thompson
Hebrew Font Design
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Mike Thompson wrote:Gosh!
What's that supposed to mean? Since I spent at least twenty minutes testing the reported bug and answering your post, you might spend more than 20 seconds replying to mine to clarify what you find so surprising.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Mike Thompson
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Mike Thompson »

Sorry Bhikkhu!
My concern was: How many average user's of FC would understand your post or (more bluntly), how many users would even be interested in understanding it.
"User Friendly" should include "Whatever makes sense to an intelligent user who pays no attention to the details of how (cursor) focus works." Clicking on a check button to refine the display settings should not loose data the user has entered.
In this case, a selection made by the user is 'data'.
In VOLT it's worse as making a selection clears the highlighting of the previous selection.

Your analysis hopefully will help a programmer decide what to do about this.
Your posts are extremely useful to me!
Mike
Mike Thompson
Hebrew Font Design