[FIXED] Paste Special, metric only issue

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
MikeW

[FIXED] Paste Special, metric only issue

Post by MikeW »

If I opt to use Paste Special, with only the paste metrics check box checked, the name is also applied.

Also, I don't know if this is by design or not, but if I copy say the letter a, then select all the lowercase a characters with accents, then opt to paste only metrics, only the first selected lowercase accented a has the metrics applied. If this is by design, it would be nice to be able to paste metrics to all selected glyphs.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Paste Special, metric only issue

Post by Erwin Denissen »

MikeW wrote:If I opt to use Paste Special, with only the paste metrics check box checked, the name is also applied.
I think I discovered the bug. If I'm right this will be fixed with the next upcoming update.
MikeW wrote:Also, I don't know if this is by design or not, but if I copy say the letter a, then select all the lowercase a characters with accents, then opt to paste only metrics, only the first selected lowercase accented a has the metrics applied. If this is by design, it would be nice to be able to paste metrics to all selected glyphs.
I think we can allow this if a single glyph is copied to the clipboard. If the glyph name is also included, we should ensure the names are unique.

While looking at the underlying code, I noticed we currently copy and paste the left side bearing along with the advance width, but I think it would be better to paste left and right side bearings.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Great, thanks Erwin.

I noticed some oddities with the LSB and advance width. Sometimes that info is pasted and sometimes it doesn't appear to do so. But I haven't really been back into FC doing a similar thing since the first post.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

But my question remains; is it better to copy and paste the left and right side bearings?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Yes, I believe so, Erwin. At least I cannot readily think of an instance I want more than lsb/rsb.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

MikeW wrote:Yes, I believe so, Erwin. At least I cannot readily think of an instance I want more than lsb/rsb.
All I ever want to do is copy the Advance width, not the side-bearings. For example, if I have a font with digits that are not a uniform width I copy the zero and paste the metrics to the one. Then I copy zero and one, and copy the metrics to the other digits.

One could use the Glyph Transformer, but then one has to type the advance width so there is room for error, and no undo.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486