[Resolved] Error Message when exporting using autohint

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

[Resolved] Error Message when exporting using autohint

Post by PJMiller »

I also get an error message when I try to export my fonts.

This has only occurred since the update to 9.1, I have re-installed Font Creator, it makes no difference.

Kelvinch looks worse at small point sizes without hinting!
Attachments
Font_Creator_Bug.png
Font_Creator_Bug.png (28.14 KiB) Viewed 6729 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Error Message when exporting using autohint

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

This issue is unrelated to the other thread. At least you have ttfautohint.exe installed.

I narrowed down the problem to one or more glyphs in the Mathematical Operators character set. If you delete the entire character set, the issue disappears.

If I delete these row of glyphs the problem also disappears.
Problem Glyphs.png
Problem Glyphs.png (5.57 KiB) Viewed 6720 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The approxequal glyph is a composite of a composite. Making it simple solves the issue. So does making the "similar" glyph ($223C) simple while leaving the approxequal glyph as a composite.

There are other glyphs with a greater component depth so I don't understand why that particular glyph should cause issues.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

Thank you, I will look for composites of composites. There may be others, since discovering that overlapping composite contours are not a problem I have been using the characters as building blocks to build other characters, maybe this approach has some drawbacks. :D
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

PJMiller wrote:Thank you, I will look for composites of composites. :D
Font, Information, Max component Depth.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
Just double-click that line, and it will be located in the font overview window.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

Erwin Denissen wrote:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
Just double-click that line, and it will be located in the font overview window.
OK, I admit it, the bug was in my font not in your software, it must have been around the time that the update came out that I "tidied up" the Mathematical Operators block. I only update the version of Kelvinch installed on my system at irregular intervals.

Erwin, it is a very nice touch to the interface, thank you, it saved me a lot of work, I have found all the composites of composites in Kelvinch Roman, the other fonts I will do tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

PJMiller wrote:OK, I admit it, the bug was in my font not in your software, it must have been around the time that the update came out that I "tidied up" the Mathematical Operators block. I only update the version of Kelvinch installed on my system at irregular intervals.
There is no rule that says you cannot have a component depth greater than 1, and ttfautohint.exe can hint lots of other such glyphs without generating an error.

I have no idea why it fails on that particular glyph. It may be a bug in FontCreator or in the autohinter, but it's not a bug in your font. As I said earlier:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:There are other glyphs with a greater component depth so I don't understand why that particular glyph should cause issues.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:There is no rule that says you cannot have a component depth greater than 1, and ttfautohint.exe can hint lots of other such glyphs without generating an error.
That is correct.
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I have no idea why it fails on that particular glyph. It may be a bug in FontCreator or in the autohinter, but it's not a bug in your font.
The error message comes from the autohinter, so I suspect it is a bug in the autohinter.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: I have no idea why it fails on that particular glyph. It may be a bug in FontCreator or in the autohinter, but it's not a bug in your font. As I said earlier:
No. I changed that glyph and it still failed, there were a couple of others. But at least it's sorted out now and if it happens again I will understand the cause and how to solve it.

Thanks.