[FIXED] CFF formatted no longer install

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
Jonne Haven

[FIXED] CFF formatted no longer install

Post by Jonne Haven »

When I try to install a CFF format font from FontCreator 9.1 I get the error message attached. When I export the file using CFF Windows says it is not a valid font.
The attachment CFF Error Message.jpg is no longer available
CFF Error Message.jpg
CFF Error Message.jpg (68.86 KiB) Viewed 6843 times
Thanks for your support

Jonne
Erwin Denissen

Re: CFF formatted no longer install

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We recently discovered fonts with CFF based outlines were not compatible with Windows 10. We've solved the problem with the latest release of FontCreator 10.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Jonne Haven

Post by Jonne Haven »

Hey Erwin,

Hope all is well with you.

I'm not using windows 10 as 9.1 version of FontCreator doesn't support CFF outlines, I'm still using windows 8.1. But for those who have FontCreator 9.1 and wish to use CFF outlines, I've sussed out the problem to a security update by Microsoft. If you know how, simply uninstall security update KB31664033 and CFF fonts will be usable. If you don't know how, I'd be happy to help anyone who needs to do this. I know unfortunately that those of us with 9.1 won't be able to share our CFF fonts with others who have the update. It would be nice if an update could be made for 9.1 for $200 for version 10 is a lot to spend for this capability. But I understand the desire to sell the new product and not rehash old versions.

That said I share a sample of my handwriting font...the "other" font I created from my handwriting as a thank you. Couldn't have done it without you Erwin!

Blessings

Jonne Haven
Gandhi Quote.jpg
Gandhi Quote.jpg (252.65 KiB) Viewed 6826 times
lauriec

Post by lauriec »

So even though we've paid for the full software it doesn't work correctly anymore and I will have to spend $109 to get it working again? Some of my programs aren't reading files correctly as a TTF. I also have to spend way more as a professional to get the software working the way I purchased it. Wish I had known about this before supporting High Logic.
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

lauriec wrote:So even though we've paid for the full software it doesn't work correctly anymore and I will have to spend $109 to get it working again? Some of my programs aren't reading files correctly as a TTF. I also have to spend way more as a professional to get the software working the way I purchased it. Wish I had known about this before supporting High Logic.
CFF doesn't work due to the mentioned KB update. This isn't the first time Microsoft's KB updates have broken fonts--last time it was TTFs no matter what compiled them.

I don't know what version you are using. It is not uncommon for a software company not to backport fixes following a new release. Not that it hasn't happened, but it isn't a standard thing. I personally think that if such a backport was easy enough, Erwin may well have done it.

I too am a professional font designer. I budget for upgrades, even though the timing of when I update varies due to finances. I do upgrade critical software first and move on to updating software that still works despite wanting new features until such time as I work them into the budget. I don't look at the upgrade fee of $109 as onerous. This issue with MS' KB update did catch me off guard having just updated software costing many times more and so I scrambled to update it. Then went through all the OTFs I had out there and updated them to work with Windows 10 post KB update. It's just part of doing business.

Mike
lauriec

Post by lauriec »

I'm not a professional font designer. I mean I bought professional and because I supported at a higher level I will have to pay more to get the fix (upgrade)
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I live on charity, so money is a big issue for me. I recently had to ask my supporters to buy a new printer/scanner as my ancient but still adequate Epson EPL5000 no longer works with Windows 10. My Epson Perfection 1250 stopped working on Windows 7 when I upgraded my PC after 7 years, but I found a free version of Vuescan software, which could scan at only 300 dpi, and was much slower than using the same scanner on my old Windows XP computer.

None of this expense was caused by anything that Epson did. The printer and scanner still work fine on Windows XP. They could have updated their drivers for Windows 10, but since the scanner is 12 years old, and the printer is 15 years old it's a lot to expect.

I benefit from having a smaller piece of kit on my desk that is not much bigger than the scanner alone, and that prints in colour. Software changes even faster than hardware. It should not be necessary to upgrade every time a new version comes out, but if one keeps on using the same old software for five years or longer, one is going to miss out on a lot of improvements and bug fixes.

FontCreator 9.0 was released before Windows 10 if I am not mistaken. It has since had some free updates to the latest version 9.1
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

lauriec wrote:I'm not a professional font designer. I mean I bought professional and because I supported at a higher level I will have to pay more to get the fix (upgrade)
I'm sorry but due to the way we develop our software, we can't provide patches for previous releases.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology