Posting Links and Images

Have questions about High-Logic.com, or maybe you have an issue with the site?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Posting Links and Images

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

This is explained in the FAQ which is usually overlooked, hence this thread.

Displaying Images
Code like this:
(Img)styles/prosilver/imageset/site_logo.gif(/img) but with square brackets will display an image:

The maximum recommended width is 800 pixels (600 is better as some people are still using 800x600 resolution). The best formats to use are usually transparent GIF or transparent PNG (smallest if few colours are used). JPG images with text are not so clear unless saved at the highest quality, so use GIF and get the additional advantage of transparency.

Large images slow down the loading of threads, so crop the image or resize the application window before taking a screen grab with Alter Print Screen to show just what you need to illustrate.

Linking to Files
Upload a font or other file to your webspace and link to it with code like this:
(url=http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pesala/Fon ... .zip)Tuffy Truetype Font(/url) (60 Kbytes zip file) but with square brackets will display an active link to a file.

Tuffy Font (60 Kbytes zip file)

Add details of the file to advise users what they are about to open.

Most users will be able to open PDF files directly in their browsers. PDF files are useful to display carefully formatted text and graphics.

Tuffy Character Set (114 Kybtes PDF File)
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Bhikkhu Pesala, thanks for the useful topic.

Here is the tag for inserting a link to a font file:

Code: Select all

[url=http://forum.high-logic.com/postedfiles/Denissen.ttf]My Font File[/url]
The result looks like:
My Font File

People who don't have a access to a personal web space or don’t know how to do this, can send their screenshots/ fonts directly to me and I'll upload them to the forum.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Uploading Images With Irfan View

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The latest release of Irfan View 4.0 has a plugin for uploading files to a server. Select the files in the thumbnail browser, and from the file menu, select "Transfer Selected Files by FTP .."

Enter the server name, user name, and folder (these details are remembered), and your password. Thereafter, you only need to enter your password.

If, like me, you often upload images to illustrate a point, this saves loading an FTP program.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Re: Posting Links and Images

Post by Erwin Denissen »

With the forum upgrade to phpBB 3 it is now possible to attach files (images, font file, etc) to your posts.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Post by Dave Crosby »

Erwin Denissen wrote:With the forum upgrade to phpBB 3 it is now possible to attach files (images, font file, etc) to your posts.
I like that BB3 stays at the point of code insertion (B for bold etc.) instead of jumping back to article start!
Aut nunc aut nunquam
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

To post a link directly to a specific post, copy the address of the little icon just before the post's timestamp by right-clicking on the icon.

Uploading Images With Irfan View
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:To post a link directly to a specific post, copy the address of the little icon just before the post's timestamp by right-clicking on the icon.
I found that after right-clicking that I needed to use Copy Shortcut rather than Copy. This on a Windows xp PC.

William Overington

26 November 2008
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Internet Explorer: Copy Shortcut
Firefox: Copy Link Location
Opera: Copy link address
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology