Maths Symbols - Oblique or Upright?

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!

What is the best form for Maths Symbols?

All maths symbols should be upright
40%
Oblique forms look better with italic text
20%
Only some symbols should have italic forms (please say which)
40%

Total votes: 5

Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Maths Symbols - Oblique or Upright?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I'm still undecided on italic forms of maths symbols. In fonts where the italic angle is less than 10° the oblique forms of +=<> etc., look OK if oblique, and arguably better than the upright forms. When the italic angle is greater, they can look very odd. For italic fonts I centre upright symbols between figure zeros. Some symbols like Integral and Square Root, look better to me if they are obliqued for italic typestiles. What do you think about letterlike maths symbols like the inverted A (for All) and E (there exists)?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Microsoft has an article about Character Design Standards for Latin 1. The section about Math symbols might be useful.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Thanks for the link. The site has been updated since I last saved it for reference. I'll take a close look at it later. I doubt if much has changed.

The page on maths symbols begins by saying:
Math signs also traditionally are only upright. Some designers are creating and arguing about the need for italic math operators.
I don't actually use maths symbols much, so I am looking for some feedback from those who do need to typeset maths formulae and the like.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

E

Post by Dave Crosby »

Thought Provoking!

As for "E," I first thought about "e" - the base of the system of natural logarithms.

In physics, "E" is reserved for Electrical field strength, but

"E" is used for Total Energy; illuminance, or amount of illumination; Young modulus of elasticity; and sometimes as an abbreviation of the abbreviation e.m.f. -electromagnetic force.

It looks like you need BOTH forms to keep from causing confusion.
Aut nunc aut nunquam
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

In the end I opted to make most maths symbols upright, with a few exceptions including Integral and Square Root. This I designed on the figure width to align with combining overline.

Most other maths symbols are also designed on the figure width wherever they fit comfortably without resizing:

−∝∞∴∵∷∼≅≡≤≥±