Open type to True type?

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
RANDY

Open type to True type?

Post by RANDY »

Greetings - How can I change a Open type font to a true type font that will work properly in windows 98?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Hi Randy,

You can open and save it with FontCreator. This process will convert a PostScript based OpenType font to a TrueType based OpenType font. That should work with Windows 98. Do keep in mind such a conversion will loose all hinting data.

This post might be worth reading: What is the difference between TrueTupe and OpenType?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
ignaciocaro

Post by ignaciocaro »

Erwin Denissen wrote:Do keep in mind such a conversion will loose all hinting data.

This post might be worth reading: What is the difference between TrueTupe and OpenType?
What do you mean when you say that it will loose all hinting data?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Hinting data is used by fonts to make them look better at small sizes. Without it they will look blurred or suffer from dropout (gaps where lines would be thinner than half a pixel when reduced to that size).
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Another Way

Post by Dick Pape »

I still like the most direct route of changing an OTF to TTF is to simply Rename the file to .ttf (Arial.otf --> Arial.ttf)

This works for me, but I'm using XP which may cover up some deficiencies in this approach...