Composites - Use this Glyph's Metrics

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!

What to do with the bearing lines when "Use this glyph's metrics" is selected?

Show them just the way they are shown within v5.5
No votes
Automatically update them, so they match with the composite glyph member
100%
Hide them, but also ensure they match with the composite glyph member
No votes
Hide them and don't allow to change them
No votes
Hide them but do allow to change them
No votes

Total votes: 1

Erwin Denissen

Composites - Use this Glyph's Metrics

Post by Erwin Denissen »

To me the left and right side bearing lines of a composite glyph seem quite useless, when a composite glyph member has it's "Use this glyphs metrics" enabled.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Joop Jagers
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Joop Jagers »

I disagree. Admittedly, these bearing lines don't have any influence on the effective glyph width. On the other hand they don't do any harm, and the fact that they can be seen might prevent errors when the "use this glyphs metrics" has been ticked inadvertently, which happened to me more than once. Thanks to the bearing lines I could rapidly identify the glyphs with errors without having to look at each glyphs properties.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

This option is not on the poll, perhaps because it is hard to implement, but the obvious choice would be to have an option to "Automatically update them, so they match with the composite glyph member." Leave the option unchecked and the bearings don't update. Much like the Option on the Font Tab, "Set left side-bearing point at x=0"

I don't see any real benefit from hiding them.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486