Test Window.

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
A.Gill

Test Window.

Post by A.Gill »

I am now having a serious problem with my FontCreater. I cannot see the glyphs I make in the "Test" window; instead I see the glyphs of some other font installed on my computer. Can someone explain what went wrong and how it can be corrected?
A. Gill
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have not seen this problem before. What do you see if you load a standard font like Times New Roman and view that in the Font Test window?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

One Way

Post by Dick Pape »

I've had this problem. There may be other ways of recreating it but here is one:

1. The font is a Symbol font.
2. Delete notdef glyph and set Advance width to 0 (really less than 22 for some reason).
3. Do Test Font and the default MS Sans Serif will show at 6 pt or something -- regardless of the Test Font size.

Changing the Advance width to >21 clears it up...
Last edited by Dick Pape on Wed May 07, 2008 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

A second font

Post by Dick Pape »

Well it worked exactly as described for the first Symbol font I selected (which had 31 glyphs). I tried it later on a larger font with 82 characters and it didn't go awry... The fonts were both built by me and had the same theme and were run on the same cpu from the same directory and on the same night ... and ... and...

Oh well, time to give it up for the day...
A.Gill

Post by A.Gill »

My font is a gurmukhi unicode font. Gurmukhi script is one of the Indic Scripts. It has a Unicode code range of 0A00 to 0A7F. When I start to design a new font by adding gurmukhi script codes to the sample font provided by the FontCreater, it does not show the glyphs I make, but instead shows the glyphs of Raavi font. Raavi font is supplied my the Microsoft with Windows XP and Vista. I want to let you know that I can see my glyphs in the "Preview" window by pressing P key.

FontCreater was working fine for me until recently but all of a sudden Font Test window quit working with my font. I do not know what went wrong.

If you want to do some testing, you need Punjabi language installed by going to Start -> Control Panel -> Regional and Language ... . Punjabi keyboard comes with Punjabi language. You don`t need to install it.

See if you can find the problem.

Thanks,
A. Gill.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

As you can see from the above screen shot, the Font Test Window is dispalying Latin Basic and Latin-1 characters. If you want it to display Gurmurkhi, copy and paste the glyphs that you can see from the Preview Toolbar into it.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Hi Avtar,

It seems in order to have a functional Gurmukhi font, it requires OpenType layout features as mentioned here:
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otf ... atures.htm

There are several options, to get those features. You could add them through Microsoft VOLT, or you could start with an existing font that already supports Gurmukhi. Of course you need to make sure under what conditions you are allowed to use the existing fonts.

Here is some more information and fonts:
http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/Fonts_Gurmukhi.html

Hope this helps.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology