I am looking for a font generator

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
Poppy

I am looking for a font generator

Post by Poppy »

I am looking for a font generator. That I can make and generate fonts. Its for my own personal use. I carve church songs and its hard to find the fonts I need.
Any info would be greatful.

Poppy
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: I am looking for a font generator

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

It sounds as if you're the creative type so Scanahand may be the best choice for you — its also the cheapest. For even less money, you can get individual fonts made from your scans at Your Fonts.com using the same basic method as Scanahand.

Draw the fonts on paper using a template, scan the drawings, and convert them to fonts.

FontCreator would be a better choice if you want more control over spacing, or need to use kerning. If you have previous experience with drawing programs it might suit you better. You can also import scanned images into FontCreator as a starting point. If the font license terms allow it, you can modify existing fonts to create your own fonts.

You can read my independent reviews of Scanahand and FontCreator.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Please forgive me I am new at this and have limited mony.
Just how limited is the home addition?
Can you create a font in graphic program and import into home addition.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Poppy wrote:Just how limited is the home addition?
Can you create a font in graphic program and import into home addition.
Yes, the Home Edition of FontCreator can import bitmaps or vectors created in a drawing program to create the individual glyphs that make up a font.
Import vector based images (EPS, AI, PDF, etc)
Import raster based images (BMP, GIF, PNG, etc)
Scanahand will import an entire font from one scanned template image, FontCreator will import an entire font from many images (drag and drop many PDF, AI, or EPS files to create many letters at once).

An important differences to consider depends on your intended use. If you want to use the fonts commercially you need either version of Scanahand, or FontCreator Professional. FontCreator Pro will give you maximum control and automation. Scanhand standard may well be enough for you, but it offers less control over the font design — no kerning or adjustment of letter spacing, etc.

See the Comparison Charts
FontCreator

Scanahand
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486